Supervised classification for functional data: A weighted distance approach
A natural methodology for discriminating functional data is based on the distances from the observation or its derivatives to group representative functions (usually the mean) or their derivatives. It is proposed to use a combination of these distances for supervised classification. Simulation studies show that this procedure performs very well, resulting in smaller testing classification errors. Applications to real data show that this technique behaves as well as–and in some cases better than–existing supervised classification methods for functions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Abraham & P. A. Cornillon & E. Matzner-Løber & N. Molinari, 2003. "Unsupervised Curve Clustering using B-Splines," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(3), pages 581-595.
- Jeng-Min Chiou & Pai-Ling Li, 2007. "Functional clustering and identifying substructures of longitudinal data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 679-699.
- Zhang, Zhen & Müller, Hans-Georg, 2011. "Functional density synchronization," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 2234-2249, July.
- Chiou, Jeng-Min & Li, Pai-Ling, 2008. "Correlation-Based Functional Clustering via Subspace Projection," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1684-1692.
- Ferraty, F. & Vieu, P., 2003. "Curves discrimination: a nonparametric functional approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 161-173, October.
- Ferraty, Frédéric & Vieu, Philippe, 2009. "Additive prediction and boosting for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1400-1413, February.
- LÃ³pez-Pintado, Sara & Romo, Juan, 2009. "On the Concept of Depth for Functional Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(486), pages 718-734.
- Cuesta-Albertos, Juan Antonio & Fraiman, Ricardo, 2007. "Impartial trimmed k-means for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4864-4877, June.
- James G.M. & Sugar C.A., 2003. "Clustering for Sparsely Sampled Functional Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 397-408, January.
- Ricardo Fraiman & Graciela Muniz, 2001. "Trimmed means for functional data," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 10(2), pages 419-440, December.
- Gareth M. James & Trevor J. Hastie, 2001. "Functional linear discriminant analysis for irregularly sampled curves," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(3), pages 533-550.
- Nerini, David & Ghattas, Badih, 2007. "Classifying densities using functional regression trees: Applications in oceanology," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4984-4993, June.
- López-Pintado, Sara & Romo, Juan, 2011. "A half-region depth for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 1679-1695, April.
- Li, Bin & Yu, Qingzhao, 2008. "Classification of functional data: A segmentation approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(10), pages 4790-4800, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:7:p:2334-2346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.