Description Length and Dimensionality Reduction in Functional Data Analysis
In this paper we investigate the use of description length principles to select an appropriate number of basis functions for functional data. We provide a flexible definition of the dimension of a random function that is constructed directly from the Karhunen-Loève expansion of the observed process. Our results show that although the classical, principle component variance decomposition technique will behave in a coherent manner, in general, the dimension chosen by this technique will not be consistent. We describe two description length criteria, and prove that they are consistent and that in low noise settings they will identify the true finite dimension of a signal that is embedded in noise. Two examples, one from mass-spectroscopy and the one from climatology, are used to illustrate our ideas. We also explore the application of different forms of the bootstrap for functional data and use these to demonstrate the workings of our theoretical results.
|Date of creation:||12 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 99052489
Fax: +61 3 99055474
Web page: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Hall & Mohammad Hosseini-Nasab, 2006. "On properties of functional principal components analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(1), pages 109-126.
- Yao, Fang & Muller, Hans-Georg & Wang, Jane-Ling, 2005. "Functional Data Analysis for Sparse Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 577-590, June.
- Ferraty, F. & Vieu, P., 2003. "Curves discrimination: a nonparametric functional approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 161-173, October.
- Boente, Graciela & Fraiman, Ricardo, 2000. "Kernel-based functional principal components," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 335-345, July.
- Ferraty, Frédéric & Vieu, Philippe, 2009. "Additive prediction and boosting for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1400-1413, February.
- Hansen M. H & Yu B., 2001. "Model Selection and the Principle of Minimum Description Length," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 746-774, June.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Li, Bin & Yu, Qingzhao, 2008. "Classification of functional data: A segmentation approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(10), pages 4790-4800, June.
- Peter Hall & Céline Vial, 2006. "Assessing the finite dimensionality of functional data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(4), pages 689-705.
- Ramsay, James O. & Ramsey, James B., 2002. "Functional data analysis of the dynamics of the monthly index of nondurable goods production," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 327-344, March.
- Jeng-Min Chiou & Pai-Ling Li, 2007. "Functional clustering and identifying substructures of longitudinal data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 679-699.
- Philippe C. Besse, 2000. "Autoregressive Forecasting of Some Functional Climatic Variations," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 673-687.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2009-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xibin Zhang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.