Classification of functional data: a weighted distance approach
A popular approach for classifying functional data is based on the distances from the function or its derivatives to group representative (usually the mean) functions or their derivatives. In this paper, we propose using a combination of those distances. Simulation studies show that our procedure performs very well, resulting in smaller testing classication errors. Applications to real data show that our procedure performs as well as –and in some cases better than– other classication methods.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/dpto_estadistica
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Abraham & P. A. Cornillon & E. Matzner-Løber & N. Molinari, 2003. "Unsupervised Curve Clustering using B-Splines," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(3), pages 581-595.
- Ferraty, F. & Vieu, P., 2003. "Curves discrimination: a nonparametric functional approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 161-173, October.
- Li, Bin & Yu, Qingzhao, 2008. "Classification of functional data: A segmentation approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(10), pages 4790-4800, June.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Tongshu Ma, 2002.
"Risk Reduction in Large Portfolios: Why Imposing the Wrong Constraints Helps,"
NBER Working Papers
8922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Tongshu Ma, 2003. "Risk Reduction in Large Portfolios: Why Imposing the Wrong Constraints Helps," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(4), pages 1651-1684, 08.
- Roderick McDonald & Yukihiko Torii & Shizuhiko Nishisato, 1979. "Some results on proper eigenvalues and eigenvectors with applications to scaling," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 211-227, June.
- C. Abraham & G. Biau & B. Cadre, 2006. "On the Kernel Rule for Function Classification," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 58(3), pages 619-633, September.
- James G.M. & Sugar C.A., 2003. "Clustering for Sparsely Sampled Functional Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 397-408, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wsrepe:ws093915. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.