Phase and amplitude-based clustering for functional data
Functional data that are not perfectly aligned in the sense of not showing peaks and valleys at the precise same locations possess phase variation. This is commonly addressed by preprocessing the data via a warping procedure. As opposed to treating phase variation as a nuisance effect, it is advantageous to recognize it as a possible important source of information for clustering. It is illustrated how results from a multiresolution warping procedure can be used for clustering. This approach allows us to address detailed questions to find local clusters that differ in phase, or clusters that differ in amplitude, or both simultaneously.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Abraham & P. A. Cornillon & E. Matzner-Løber & N. Molinari, 2003. "Unsupervised Curve Clustering using B-Splines," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(3), pages 581-595.
- Struyf, Anja & Hubert, Mia & Rousseeuw, Peter J., 1997. "Integrating robust clustering techniques in S-PLUS," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 17-37, November.
- Sangalli, Laura M. & Secchi, Piercesare & Vantini, Simone & Vitelli, Valeria, 2010. "k-mean alignment for curve clustering," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1219-1233, May.
- Luis Angel Garcia-Escudero & Alfonso Gordaliza, 2005. "A Proposal for Robust Curve Clustering," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 185-201, September.
- Wayne DeSarbo & William Cron, 1988. "A maximum likelihood methodology for clusterwise linear regression," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 249-282, September.
- James G.M. & Sugar C.A., 2003. "Clustering for Sparsely Sampled Functional Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 397-408, January.
- Toni Giorgino, . "Computing and Visualizing Dynamic Time Warping Alignments in R: The dtw Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 31(i07).
- Ashish Sood & Gareth M. James & Gerard J. Tellis, 2009. "Functional Regression: A New Model for Predicting Market Penetration of New Products," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(1), pages 36-51, 01-02.
- Daniel Gervini & Theo Gasser, 2005. "Nonparametric maximum likelihood estimation of the structural mean of a sample of curves," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(4), pages 801-820, December.
- Jeng-Min Chiou & Pai-Ling Li, 2007. "Functional clustering and identifying substructures of longitudinal data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 679-699.
- Hennig, Christian, 2008. "Dissolution point and isolation robustness: Robustness criteria for general cluster analysis methods," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(6), pages 1154-1176, July.
- Lawrence Hubert & Phipps Arabie, 1985. "Comparing partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 193-218, December.
- Douzal-Chouakria, Ahlame & Diallo, Alpha & Giroud, Françoise, 2009. "Adaptive clustering for time series: Application for identifying cell cycle expressed genes," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1414-1426, February.
- Luis García-Escudero & Alfonso Gordaliza & Carlos Matrán & Agustín Mayo-Iscar, 2010. "A review of robust clustering methods," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 89-109, September.
- Liu, Xueli & Yang, Mark C.K., 2009. "Simultaneous curve registration and clustering for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1361-1376, February.
- Gerda Claeskens & Bernard W. Silverman & Leen Slaets, 2010. "A multiresolution approach to time warping achieved by a Bayesian prior-posterior transfer fitting strategy," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 72(5), pages 673-694.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:7:p:2360-2374. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.