Simultaneous curve registration and clustering for functional data
Study of dynamic processes in many areas of science has led to the appearance of functional data sets. It is often the case that individual trajectories vary both in the amplitude space and in the time space. We develop a coherent clustering procedure that allows for temporal aligning. Under this framework, closed form solutions of an EM type learning algorithm are derived. The method can be applied to all types of curve data but is particularly useful when phase variation is present. We demonstrate the method by both simulation studies and an application to human growth curves.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xueli Liu & Hans-Georg Muller, 2004. "Functional Convex Averaging and Synchronization for Time-Warped Random Curves," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 687-699, January.
- Serban, Nicoleta & Wasserman, Larry, 2005. "CATS: Clustering After Transformation and Smoothing," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 990-999, September.
- Luis Angel Garcia-Escudero & Alfonso Gordaliza, 2005. "A Proposal for Robust Curve Clustering," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 185-201, September.
- Fraley C. & Raftery A.E., 2002. "Model-Based Clustering, Discriminant Analysis, and Density Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 611-631, June.
- James G.M. & Sugar C.A., 2003. "Clustering for Sparsely Sampled Functional Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 397-408, January.
- Daniel Gervini & Theo Gasser, 2004. "Self-modelling warping functions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(4), pages 959-971.
- Birgitte B. Rønn, 2001. "Nonparametric maximum likelihood estimation for shifted curves," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 243-259.
- Daniel Gervini & Theo Gasser, 2005. "Nonparametric maximum likelihood estimation of the structural mean of a sample of curves," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(4), pages 801-820, December.
- Tarpey, Thaddeus, 2007. "Linear Transformations and the k-Means Clustering Algorithm: Applications to Clustering Curves," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 61, pages 34-40, February.
- Jeng-Min Chiou & Pai-Ling Li, 2007. "Functional clustering and identifying substructures of longitudinal data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 679-699.
- Lawrence Hubert & Phipps Arabie, 1985. "Comparing partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 193-218, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:53:y:2009:i:4:p:1361-1376. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.