Exponential Smoothing: A Prediction Error Decomposition Principle
In the exponential smoothing approach to forecasting, restrictions are often imposed on the smoothing parameters which ensure that certain components are exponentially weighted averages. In this paper, a new general restriction is derived on the basis that the one-step ahead prediction error can be decomposed into permanent and transient components. It is found that this general restriction reduces to the common restrictions used for simple, trend and seasonal exponential smoothing. As such, the prediction error argument provides the rationale for these restrictions.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/pubs/wpapers/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Harvey & Siem Jan Koopman, 2000.
"Signal extraction and the formulation of unobserved components models,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 84-107.
- Harvey, A.C. & Koopman, S.J.M., 1999. "Signal Extraction and the Formulation of Unobserved Components Models," Discussion Paper 1999-44, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Rob J. Hyndman & Muhammad Akram & Blyth Archibald, 2003. "Invertibility Conditions for Exponential Smoothing Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 3/03, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Snyder, Ralph D & Ord, J Keith & Koehler, Anne B, 2001.
"Prediction Intervals for ARIMA Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 217-25, April.
- Snyder, R.D. & Ord, J.K. & Koehler, A.B., 1997. "Prediction Intervals for Arima Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 8/97, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Ord, J.K. & Koehler, A. & Snyder, R.D., 1995. "Estimation and Prediction for a Class of Dynamic Nonlinear Statistical Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 4/95, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Peter R. Winters, 1960. "Forecasting Sales by Exponentially Weighted Moving Averages," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(3), pages 324-342, April.
- Hyndman, R.J. & Koehler, A.B. & Snyder, R.D. & Grose, S., 2000.
"A State Space Framework for Automatic Forecasting Using Exponential Smoothing Methods,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
9/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Koehler, Anne B. & Snyder, Ralph D. & Grose, Simone, 2002. "A state space framework for automatic forecasting using exponential smoothing methods," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 439-454.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2004-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.