Forecasting correlated time series with exponential smoothing models
This paper presents the Bayesian analysis of a general multivariate exponential smoothing model that allows us to forecast time series jointly, subject to correlated random disturbances. The general multivariate model, which can be formulated as a seemingly unrelated regression model, includes the previously studied homogeneous multivariate Holt-Winters' model as a special case when all of the univariate series share a common structure. MCMC simulation techniques are required in order to approach the non-analytically tractable posterior distribution of the model parameters. The predictive distribution is then estimated using Monte Carlo integration. A Bayesian model selection criterion is introduced into the forecasting scheme for selecting the most adequate multivariate model for describing the behaviour of the time series under study. The forecasting performance of this procedure is tested using some real examples.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koehler, Anne B. & Snyder, Ralph D. & Ord, J. Keith, 2001.
"Forecasting models and prediction intervals for the multiplicative Holt-Winters method,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 269-286.
- Koehler, A.B. & Snyder, R.D. & Ord, J.K., 1999. "Forecasting Models and Prediction Intervals for the Multiplicative Holt-Winters Method," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 1/99, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Ord, J.K. & Koehler, A. & Snyder, R.D., 1995. "Estimation and Prediction for a Class of Dynamic Nonlinear Statistical Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 4/95, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Phillip G. Enns & Joseph A. Machak & W. Allen Spivey & William J. Wrobleski, 1982. "Forecasting Applications of an Adaptive Multiple Exponential Smoothing Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(9), pages 1035-1044, September.
- Hyndman, R.J. & Koehler, A.B. & Snyder, R.D. & Grose, S., 2000.
"A State Space Framework for Automatic Forecasting Using Exponential Smoothing Methods,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
9/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Koehler, Anne B. & Snyder, Ralph D. & Grose, Simone, 2002. "A state space framework for automatic forecasting using exponential smoothing methods," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 439-454.
- Robert, Christian P., 2007. "The Bayesian Choice: From Decision Theoretic Foundations to Computational Implementation," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1908, Paris Dauphine University.
- Fernandez, F Javier & Harvey, Andrew C, 1990. "Seemingly Unrelated Time Series Equations and a Test for Homogeneity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 71-81, January.
- Ashton de Silva & Rob J. Hyndman & Ralph D. Snyder, 2007. "The vector innovation structural time series framework: a simple approach to multivariate forecasting," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 3/07, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Gould, Phillip G. & Koehler, Anne B. & Ord, J. Keith & Snyder, Ralph D. & Hyndman, Rob J. & Vahid-Araghi, Farshid, 2008. "Forecasting time series with multiple seasonal patterns," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(1), pages 207-222, November.
- J. D. Bermudez & J. V. Segura & E. Vercher, 2007. "Holt-Winters Forecasting: An Alternative Formulation Applied to UK Air Passenger Data," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 1075-1090.
- Bermudez, J.D. & Segura, J.V. & Vercher, E., 2006. "A decision support system methodology for forecasting of time series based on soft computing," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 177-191, November.
- Rob Hyndman & Muhammad Akram & Blyth Archibald, 2008. "The admissible parameter space for exponential smoothing models," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 60(2), pages 407-426, June.
- Gardner, Everette Jr., 2006. "Exponential smoothing: The state of the art--Part II," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 637-666.
- Geweke, John & Whiteman, Charles, 2006. "Bayesian Forecasting," Handbook of Economic Forecasting, Elsevier.
- David J. Spiegelhalter & Nicola G. Best & Bradley P. Carlin & Angelika van der Linde, 2002. "Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(4), pages 583-639.
- Forbes, C.S. & Snyder, R.D. & Shami, R.S., 2000. "Bayesian Exponential Smoothing," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 7/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Griffiths, W.E., 2001. "Bayesian Inference in the Seemingly Unrelated Regressions Models," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 793, The University of Melbourne.
- J. Bermúdez & J. Segura & E. Vercher, 2008. "SIOPRED: a prediction and optimisation integrated system for demand," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 258-271, December.
- A. C. Harvey, 1986. "Analysis and Generalisation of a Multivariate Exponential Smoothing Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(3), pages 374-380, March.
- Peter R. Winters, 1960. "Forecasting Sales by Exponentially Weighted Moving Averages," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(3), pages 324-342, April.
- Pfeffermann, D. & Allon, J., 1989. "Multivariate exponential smoothing: Method and practice," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 83-98.
- Bermúdez, José D. & Corberán-Vallet, Ana & Vercher, Enriqueta, 2009. "Multivariate exponential smoothing: A Bayesian forecast approach based on simulation," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 79(5), pages 1761-1769.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:27:y::i:2:p:252-265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.