Stochastic stability in the Scarf economy
We present a mathematical model for the analysis of the bargaining games based on private prices used by Gintis to simulate the dynamics of prices in exchange economies, see [Gintis 2007]. We then characterize, in the Scarf economy, a class of dynamics for which the Walrasian equilibrium is the only stochastically stable state. Hence, we provide dynamic foundations for general equilibrium for one of the best-known example of instability of the tâtonement process
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fudenberg, D. & Harris, C., 1992.
"Evolutionary dynamics with aggregate shocks,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 420-441, August.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Harris, Christopher, 1992. "Evolutionary Dynamics with Aggregate Shocks," IDEI Working Papers 13, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- D. Fudenberg & C. Harris, 2010. "Evolutionary Dynamics with Aggregate Shocks," Levine's Working Paper Archive 496, David K. Levine.
- Glenn Ellison, 2000. "Basins of Attraction, Long-Run Stochastic Stability, and the Speed of Step-by-Step Evolution," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(1), pages 17-45.
- Mandel Antoine & Botta Nicola, 2009. "A Note on Herbert Gintis' "Emergence of a Price System from Decentralized Bilateral Exchange"," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-18, December.
- Antoine Mandel & Nicola Botta, 2009. "A note on Herbert Gintis' "Emergence of a Price System from Decentralized Bilateral Exchange"," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00634656, HAL.
- Bottazzi, Jean-Marc, 1994. "Accessibility of Pareto optima by Walrasian exchange processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 585-603, November.
- Kalai, Ehud & Smorodinsky, Meir, 1975. "Other Solutions to Nash's Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(3), pages 513-518, May.
- Ghosal, Sayantan & Porter, James, 2013. "Decentralised exchange, out-of-equilibrium dynamics and convergence to efficiency," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 1-21.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Young, H Peyton, 1993. "The Evolution of Conventions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 57-84, January.
- Jean-Jacques Herings, P., 1997. "A globally and universally stable price adjustment process," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 163-193, March.
- Herings, P.J.J., 1994. "A globally and universally stable price adjustment process," Discussion Paper 1994-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2008. "Mistakes in Cooperation: the Stochastic Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(532), pages 1719-1741, October.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2003. "MISTAKE IN COOPERATION:the Stochastic Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting," Working Papers 2003-23, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Volij, Oscar & Serrano, Roberto, 2005. "Mistakes in cooperation: the stochastic stability of edgeworth's recontracting," UC3M Working papers. Economics we056332, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2003. "Mistakes in Cooperation: the Stochastic Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting," Economics Working Papers 0029, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Alok Kumar & Martin Shubik, 2004. "Variations on the Theme of Scarf's Counter-Example," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 1-19, 08.
- Alok Kumar & Martin Shubik, 2001. "Variations on the Theme of Scarf's Counter-Example," Working Papers 01-12-074, Santa Fe Institute.
- Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1973. "Do Walras' identity and continuity characterize the class of community excess demand functions?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 345-354, August.
- Scarf, Herbert, 1969. "An Example of an Algorithm for Calculating General Equilibrium Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 669-677, Part I Se.
- Fernando Vega-Redondo, 1997. "The Evolution of Walrasian Behavior," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(2), pages 375-384, March.
- Fernando Vega Redondo, 1996. "The evolution of walrasian behavior," Working Papers. Serie AD 1996-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Herbert Gintis, 2007. "The Dynamics of General Equilibrium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(523), pages 1280-1309, October.
- Schecter, Stephen, 1977. "Accessibility of optima in pure exchange economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 197-216, December.
- Sean Crockett, 2013. "Price Dynamics In General Equilibrium Experiments," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 421-438, 07.
- Arkit, Aleksandra, 2003. "Globally stable price dynamics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 27-38, February.
- Scarf, Herbert, 1981. "Comment on: "On the Stability of Competitive Equilibrium and the Patterns of Initial Holdings: An Example"," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(2), pages 469-470, June.
- Giraud, Gael, 2003. "Strategic market games: an introduction," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 355-375, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)