When the first interaction matters: Recruitment in the French retailing
In France, one of ten recently-hired workers works in retailing. The literature provides evidence about the screening criteria used to fill low-wage vacancies in stores. However, neither the stage when criteria matter nor the forefront role of information channels (direct applications, word-of-mouth, employment agency and job ads) has been well explored. Drawing on 35 interviews conducted in 2010-2011, with actors involved in recruitment activites and with recently-hired workers in large stores in Greater Paris. This article explores the initial interaction between job seekers and recruiters. It is argued that the screening criteria vary according to the way employers received information about applicants and first interact with them (by mail, phone or face-to-face). This contribution highlights the importance of walk-in applications, which prioritize selection based on residence, appearances and availability. Changes in the first interaction impact the whole selection process and may change the profile of the workers hired
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuelle Marchal & Kévin Mellet & Géraldine Rieucau, 2007. "Job board toolkits: Internet matchmaking and changes in job advertisements," Post-Print halshs-00825168, HAL.
- John Latsis & Guillemette de Larquier & Franck Besis, 2010.
"Are conventions solutions to uncertainty? contrasting visions of social coordination,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(4), pages 535-558, July.
- John Latsis & Guillemette De Larquier & Franck Bessis, 2010. "Are conventions solutions to uncertainty? contrasting visions of social coordination," Post-Print halshs-01278287, HAL.
- Eve Caroli & Jérôme Gautié, 2008. "Low wage work in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00266332, HAL.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10045 is not listed on IDEAS
- Philippe Askenazy & Jean-Baptiste Berry & Sophie Prunier-Poulmaire, 2008. "Working Hard in Large French Retailers," Post-Print halshs-00754762, HAL.
- Yannick Fondeur & Michèle Forté & Guillemette De Larquier & Sylvie Monchatre & Géraldine Rieucau & Marie Salognon & Ariel Sevilla & Carole Tuchszirer, 2012. "Pratiques de recrutement et sélectivité sur le marché du travail," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00971684, HAL. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:12061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.