Characteristics of and determinants of the density of contributions in a Private Social Security System
This paper investigates previously unresearched issues pertaining to the well-known Chilean innovations in Social Security. Previous empirical studies of the Chilean system used aggregate and macro data, without attention to individual heterogeneity. This study uses new household survey data, linked with Social Security records for over 20 years, to analyze selected reform issues related to social security coverage and the density and continuity of contributions to the social security system. The results lead to a better understanding of the participation determinants and the distributional aspects of the Chilean system, lay the groundwork for policy changes, and illuminate implications of the system reforms for other countries.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (734) 615-0422
Fax: (734) 647-4575
Web page: http://www.mrrc.isr.umich.edu/publications/papers/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prof. Dr. Robert Holzmann, 1994. "Funded and Private Pensions for Eastern European Countries in Transition?," Public Economics 9405004, EconWPA.
- Ricardo Paredes & Pilar Romaguera & Andras Uthoff, 1987. "Modelos de capital humano y segmentación: test y nueva evidencia," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 14(2 Year 19), pages 335-372, December.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1998.
"Simulating the Privatization of Social Security in General Equilibrium,"
in: Privatizing Social Security, pages 265-311
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1996. "Simulating the Privatization of Social Security in General Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 5776, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gert Wagner, .
"La Seguridad Social y el Programa de Pensión Mínima Garantizada,"
Documentos de Trabajo
133, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Gert Wagner, 1991. "La seguridad social y el programa de pensión mínima garantizada," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 18(1 Year 19), pages 33-91, June.
- De Mesa, Alberto Arenas & Bertranou, Fabio, 1997. "Learning from social security reforms: Two different cases, Chile and Argentina," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-348, March.
- Martin Feldstein, 1996.
"The Missing Piece in Policy Analysis: Social Security Reform,"
NBER Working Papers
5413, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1996. "The Missing Piece in Policy Analysis: Social Security Reform," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 1-14, May.
- Peter Diamond, 2004. "Social Security," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Peter S. Heller, 1998. "Rethinking Public Pension Reform Initiatives," IMF Working Papers 98/61, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mrr:papers:wp077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MRRC Administrator)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.