Free to Punish? The American Dream and the harsh Treatment of Criminals
We describe the evolution of selective aspects of punishment in the US over the period 1980-2004. We note that imprisonment increased around 1980, a period that coincides with the “Reagan revolution” in economic matters. We build an economic model where beliefs about economic opportunities and beliefs about punishment are correlated. We present three pieces of evidence (across countries, within the US and an experimental exercise) that are consistent with the model.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Prudencio de Pena 2440, Montevideo 11600|
Web page: http://www.um.edu.uy/cee/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Piketty, 1995.
"Social Mobility and Redistributive Politics,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 551-584.
- Benoît, Jean-Pierre & Dubra, Juan, 2008.
765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benoît, Jean-Pierre & Dubra, Juan, 2007. "Overconfidence?," MPRA Paper 6017, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2007.
- Jean-Pierre Benoit & Juan Dubra, 2008. "Overconfidence," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 122247000000002148, www.najecon.org.
- Benoît, Jean-Pierre & Dubra, Juan, 2008. "Overconfidence?," MPRA Paper 8879, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean Pierre Benoit & Juan Dubra, 2008. "Overconfidence?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000002142, David K. Levine.
- Benoît, Jean-Pierre & Dubra, Juan, 2007. "Overconfidence?," MPRA Paper 5505, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Di Tella, Rafael & Dubra, Juan, 2006.
"Crime and Punishment in the "American Dream","
500, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rasmusen, Eric, 1996.
"Stigma and Self-Fulfilling Expectations of Criminality,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(2), pages 519-43, October.
- Rasmusen, E., 1992. "Stigma and Self-Fulfilling Expectations of Criminality," Papers 92-019, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Eric Rasmusen, 1995. "``Stigma and Self-Fulfilling Expectations of Criminality''," Law and Economics 9506001, EconWPA.
- Roland Benabou & Jean Tirole, 2011.
"Laws and Norms,"
NBER Working Papers
17579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael Di Tella & Sebastian Edwards & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2010. "The Economics of Crime: Lessons for and from Latin America," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number dite09-1, 07.
- Hall, Peter A. & Soskice, David (ed.), 2001. "Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247752, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mnt:wpaper:1105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mercedes Ponce de León)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.