An Analysis of the Relevance of Off-Balance Sheet Items in Explaining Productivity Change in European Banking
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2005. "An analysis of the relevance of off-balance sheet items in explaining productivity change in European banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(15), pages 1053-1061.
References listed on IDEAS
- Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2003. "Nontraditional activities and bank efficiency revisited: a distributional analysis for Spanish financial institutions," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 371-395.
- Ray, Subhash C & Desli, Evangelia, 1997. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1033-1039, December.
- Rogers, Kevin E., 1998. "Nontraditional activities and the efficiency of US commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 467-482, May.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "Index Numbers," Economics working papers diewert-07-01-03-08-17-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2007.
- Rime, Bertrand & Stiroh, Kevin J., 2003.
"The performance of universal banks: Evidence from Switzerland,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 2121-2150, November.
- Bertrand Rime & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2001. "The Performance of Universal Banks: Evidence from Switzerland," Working Papers 01.03, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1978. "Superlative Index Numbers and Consistency in Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Jagtiani, Julapa & Nathan, Alli & Sick, Gordon, 1995. "Scale economies and cost complementarities in commercial banks: On-and off-balance-sheet activities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1175-1189, October.
- Rogers, Kevin & SinkeyJr., Joseph F., 1999. "An analysis of nontraditional activities at U.S. commercial banks," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 25-39, June.
- Mukherjee, Kankana & Ray, Subhash C. & Miller, Stephen M., 2001. "Productivity growth in large US commercial banks: The initial post-deregulation experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 913-939, May.
- Clark, Jeffrey A & Siems, Thomas F, 2002. "X-Efficiency in Banking: Looking beyond the Balance Sheet," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 987-1013, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emanuele BACCHIOCCHI & Matteo FERRARI & Massimo FLORIO & Daniela VANDONE, 2015. "State-Owned Banks: Acquirers in M&A deals," CIRIEC Working Papers 1508, CIRIEC - Université de Liège.
- Mirzaei, Ali & Moore, Tomoe & Liu, Guy, 2013. "Does market structure matter on banks’ profitability and stability? Emerging vs. advanced economies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2920-2937.
- Lee, Chi-Chuan & Huang, Tai-Hsin, 2016. "Productivity changes in pre-crisis Western European banks: Does scale effect really matter?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 29-48.
- Anastasia Koutsomanoli-Filippaki & Dimitris Margaritis & Christos Staikouras, 2012. "Profit efficiency in the European Union banking industry: a directional technology distance function approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 277-293, June.
- J. Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & A. Nouira, 2009.
"Efficiency of insurance firms with endogenous risk management and financial intermediation activities,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 145-159, October.
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2006. "Efficiency of Insurance Firms with Endogenous Risk Management and Financial Intermediation Activities," Cahiers de recherche 06-06, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2006. "Efficiency of Insurance Firms with Endogenous Risk Management and Financial Intermediation Activities," Cahiers de recherche 0616, CIRPEE.
- Fadzlan SUFIAN, 2009. "Analysis Of The Relevance Of Non-Traditional Activities Items Upon The Efficiency Of Chinese Banks: A Non-Stochastic Frontier DEA Approach," Review of Economic and Business Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 4, pages 83-102, November.
- Nemanja Radić & Franco Fiordelisi & Claudia Girardone, 2012. "Efficiency and Risk-Taking in Pre-Crisis Investment Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 41(1), pages 81-101, April.
- Anca Podpiera & Jiri Podpiera, 2005. "Deteriorating Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks Signals an Increasing Risk of Failure," Working Papers 2005/06, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Fotios Pasiouras & Emmanouil Sifodaskalakis, 2010. "Total factor productivity change of Greek cooperative banks," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(4), pages 337-353, March.
- Drobetz, Wolfgang & Erdmann, Thomas & Zimmermann, Heinz, 2007. "Predictability in the cross-section of European bank stock returns," Working papers 2007/21, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Ken Johnston & John Hatem & Thomas A. Carnes, 2010. "Investor education: how plan sponsors should report your returns," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(4), pages 354-363, April.
- Anastasia Koutsomanoli-Filippaki & Emmanuel Mamatzakis, 2009. "Performance and Merton-Type Default Risk of Listed Banks in EU: a panel VAR approach," Discussion Paper Series 2009_09, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2009.
- Paolo Guarda & Abdelaziz Rouabah & Michael Vardanyan, 2013. "Identifying bank outputs and inputs with a directional technology distance function," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 185-195, October.
- Ana Lozano-Vivas & Fotios Pasiouras, 2014. "Bank Productivity Change and Off-Balance-Sheet Activities Across Different Levels of Economic Development," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 271-294, December.
- Shijaku, Gerti, 2016. "Does Primary Sovereignty Risk Matter for Bank Fragility? Evidence from Albanian Banking System," MPRA Paper 79097, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:spd:journl:v:67:y:2017:i:2:p:3-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marko Primorac & Zvonimir Troskot, 2005. "Measuring the efficiency and productivity of the Croatian banks with Malmquists index of change of total factor productivity," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 29(4), pages 309-325.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mmf:mmfc04:37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://www.essex.ac.uk/afm/mmf/index.html .