What remains of Sraffa's economics
Recently the Cambridge Journal of Economics have launched a project on New Perspectives on the Work of Piero Sraffa in a Conference and a Special Issue of the Journal. "Almost two decades after the opening of the Sraffa Archives - the Introduction reads - and 50 years on from the publication of PCMC seemed an appropriate moment to reflect on ongoing debates on Sraffa's overall contribution to economics and, in particular, on the relevance of the opening of the Sraffa Archives in this regard. Does Sraffa's lasting contribution to economic analysis essentially remain limited to PCMC or is it taken beyond this by his unpublished writings? In the latter case, is it possible to identify a distinctive research project that Sraffa had in mind?". This paper discusses these problems and proposes an answer to both questions. It is argued that the opening of the Archives changes substantially the judgment that can be given of the intellectual legacy of Piero Sraffa. The contributions to the ongoing debate on Piero Sraffa's economics are discussed. It is argued that the publication of Sraffa's literary remains is the necessary step to make the debate more productive.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Ateneo Nuovo, 1 Milano 20126|
Phone: +39 02 6448 3089
Fax: +39 02 6448 3085
Web page: http://dems.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garegnani, Pierangelo, 1984. "Piero Sraffa," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 1-2, March.
- Pier Luigi Porta, 2012. "Piero Sraffa's early views on classical political economy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(6), pages 1357-1383.
- Samuel Hollander, 1998. "Sraffa in historiographical perspective: a provisional statement," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 430-436.
- Pier Luigi Porta, 2000. "Sraffa’s Ricardo after Fifty Years - A Preliminary Estimate," Working Papers 26, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2000.
- Pier Luigi Porta, 2013. "New perspectives on the work of Piero Sraffa: a rejoinder to Professor Kurz," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(6), pages 1437-1441.
- Mark Blaug, 2009. "The Trade-Off between Rigor and Relevance: Sraffian Economics as a Case in Point," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 219-247, Summer.
- Arrow, Kenneth J., 1991. "Ricardo's Work as Viewed by Later Economists," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 70-77, June.
- Vivian Walsh, 2003. "Sen after Putnam," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 315-394.
- Davis, John B., 2011.
"The Change in Sraffa's Philosophical Thinking,"
Working Papers and Research
2011-02, Marquette University, Center for Global and Economic Studies and Department of Economics.
- Heinz Kurz & Neri Salvadori, 2005. "Representing the production and circulation of commodities in material terms: On Sraffa's objectivism," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 413-441.
- Amartya Sen, 2003. "Sraffa, Wittgenstein, and Gramsci," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1240-1255, December.
- Roberto Scazzieri, 2012. "The political economy of Production of Commodities by Means of Commodities: a comment on Pasinetti and Sraffa," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(6), pages 1315-1322.
- Porta Pier Luigi & Scazzieri Roberto, 2008. ""A Revolution to be Accomplished": Keynes and the Cambridge Keynesians," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 455-480.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mib:wpaper:242. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Pelagatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.