The Association Between the Frequency of Wife Assault and Marital Dissolution
In this paper, we investigate the source of the positive association between domestic abuse in a first marriage and the probability of that marriage ending using the 1993 Violence Against Women survey (VAWS) data. We find that the association between abuse and the decision to separate remains significant and largely unaffected when all VAWS variables thought to influence the decision to separate are added to the probit. Most of the variables which are not available in the VAWS do not appear to be capable of generating a spurious positive relationship between the frequency of abuse and marital dissolution. We also find no evidence of systematic reporting differences which might generate a spurious association between abuse and dissolution.
|Date of creation:||May 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Dooley & Stéphane Gascon & Pierre Lefebvre & Philip Merrigan, 1999.
"Lone Female Headship and Welfare Policy in Canada,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
76, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Pierre Lefebvre & Philip Merrigan & Martin Dooley, 1998. "Lone Female Headship and Welfare Policy in Canada," Department of Economics Working Papers 1998-02, McMaster University.
- Pierre Lefebvre & Phillip Merrigan & Martin Dooley, . "Lone Female Headship and Welfare Policy in Canada," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 08, McMaster University.
- Lillard, Lee A., 1993. "Simultaneous equations for hazards : Marriage duration and fertility timing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 189-217, March.
- T. Balakrishnan & K. Rao & Evelyne Lapierre-Adamcyk & Karol Krotki, 1987. "A Hazard Model Analysis Of The Covariates Of Marriage Dissolution In Canada," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 24(3), pages 395-406, August.
- Saul D. Hoffman & Greg J. Duncan, 1995. "The Effect of Incomes, Wages, and AFDC Benefits on Marital Disruption," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(1), pages 19-41.
- Becker, Gary S & Landes, Elisabeth M & Michael, Robert T, 1977. "An Economic Analysis of Marital Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1141-87, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:deptwp:1998-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.