Recycling With Endogeneous Consumer Participation
We show that the cost of sorting and the network effects jointly determine the rate of participation of consumers in the process of recycling. The dominant producer of virgin material takes into account the recycling activities when it makes its pricing decision. The network effects can create multiplicity of steady-state equilibria. The government can improve welfare by influencing equilibrium selection.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 398-3030
Fax: (514) 398-4938
Web page: http://www.repec.mcgill.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin, Robert E, 1982. "Monopoly Power and the Recycling of Raw Materials," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 405-19, June.
- Grant, Darren, 1999. "Recycling and market power: A more general model and re-evaluation of the evidence1," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 59-80, January.
- Gaskins, Darius Jr., 1974. "Alcoa revisited: The welfare implications of a secondhand market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 254-271, March.
- Valerie Y. Suslow, 1986. "Estimating Monopoly Behavior with Competitive Recycling: An Application to Alcoa," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(3), pages 389-403, Autumn.
- Swan, Peter L, 1980. "Alcoa: The Influence of Recycling on Monopoly Power," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 76-99, February.
- Hollander, Abraham & Lasserre, Pierre, 1988.
"Monopoly and the preemption of competitive recycling,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 489-497.
- Hollander, A. & Lasserre, P., 1984. "Monopoly and the Preemption of Competitive Recycling," Cahiers de recherche 8428, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- George A. Akerlof & Rachel E. Kranton, 2005. "Identity and the Economics of Organizations," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 9-32, Winter.
- Gérard Gaudet & Ngo Van Long, 2003. "Recycling Redux: A Nash-Cournot Approach," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(4), pages 409-419.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcl:mclwop:2006-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shama Rangwala)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Shama Rangwala to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.