Recyclage et externalités environnementales. Faut-il subventionner les activités de récupération recyclage ?
This paper considers recycling in a general equilibrium model. It is shown that recycling should be subsidized if recycling costs are high, as an incentive to recycle all of the available waste. This tax incentive should vanish if recycling is profitable enough. In this case, recycling should even be taxed, in order to make the competitive equilibrium be an optimal allocation. We conclude also that, if recycling is efficient enough, it allows to internalize environmental externalities. In this case, recycling replaces a tax instrument. Classification JEL : D62, H23, Q53
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fullerton, Don & Wu, Wenbo, 1998.
"Policies for Green Design,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 131-148, September.
- Grant, Darren, 1999. "Recycling and market power: A more general model and re-evaluation of the evidence1," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 59-80, January.
- Chongwoo Choe & Iain Fraser, 1997.
"An Economic Analysis of Household Waste Management,"
1997.11, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Choe, Chongwoo & Fraser, Iain, 1999. "An Economic Analysis of Household Waste Management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 234-246, September.
- Keeler Andrew G. & Renkow Mitch, 1994. "Haul Trash or Haul Ash: Energy Recovery as a Component of Local Solid Waste Management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 205-217, November.
- Don Fullerton & Thomas C. Kinnaman, 1993.
"Garbage, Recycling, and Illicit Burning or Dumping,"
NBER Working Papers
4374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fullerton Don & Kinnaman Thomas C., 1995. "Garbage, Recycling, and Illicit Burning or Dumping," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 78-91, July.
- Swan, Peter L, 1980. "Alcoa: The Influence of Recycling on Monopoly Power," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 76-99, February.
- Marini Giancarlo & Scaramozzino Pasquale, 1995. "Overlapping Generations and Environmental Control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 64-77, July.
- Palmer, Karen & Walls, Margaret, 1997. "Optimal policies for solid waste disposal Taxes, subsidies, and standards," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 193-205, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:recosp:reco_583_0609. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.