Explaining European Short-term Interest Rate Differentials: An Application of Tobin's Portfolio Theory
This paper seeks to identify potential determinants of short interest rate differentials across European countries. We rely on the portfolio theory of Tobin to choose our set of risk factors and then assess the ability of these macroeconomic variables to influence both the conditional mean and volatility of interest rate differentials. The macroeconomic variables employed in the analysis may be loosely considered to reflect both domestic government fiscal and monetary policy and international influences.We find significant ARCH-in-mean effects, implying that the conditional volatility of the interest rate differential exerts an important influence in the determination of its mean value. There are also significant short-run contagion effects whereby volatility in the macroeconomic factors is transmitted to the overall riskiness of the differential which in turn impacts upon the level of the differential.
|Date of creation:||May 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Maynooth, Co. Kildare|
Web page: http://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/economics-finance-and-accounting
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. J. Flavin & M. G. Limosani, 2000.
"Fiscal policy and the term premium in real interest rate differentials,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 413-417.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Michele G. Limosani, 1998. "Fiscal Policy and the Term Premium in Real Interest Rate Differentials," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n830498, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & MacArthur, Alan T., 1988.
"Political vs. currency premia in international real interest differentials : A study of forward rates for 24 countries,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1083-1114, June.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel and Alan T. MacArthur., 1987. "Political vs. Currency Premia in International Real Interest Differentials: A Study of Forward Rates for 24 Countries," Economics Working Papers 8762, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Alan T. MacArthur, 1987. "Political vs. Currency Premia in International Real Interest Differentials: A Study of Forward Rates for 24 Countries," NBER Working Papers 2309, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Michael R. Wickens, 2001.
"A Risk Management Approach to Optimal Asset Allocation,"
Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series
n1080301, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Michael R. Wickens, 1998. ": A Risk Management Approach to Optimal Asset Allocation," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n851298, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Michele Limosani, 2000. "What Explains Real Interest Rate Differentials across European Countries?," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2000(71).
- J. Tobin, 1958.
"Liquidity Preference as Behavior Towards Risk,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 65-86.
- James Tobin, 1982.
"Money and Finance in the Macro-Economic Process,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
613R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:122-50 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:may:mayecw:n1000500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.