Global Asset Allocation with Time-varying Risk
We extend the number of assets available to a UK investor who wishes to select a portfolio of international financial assets. A two-stage allocation strategy is adopted by first forming time-varying portfolios of international government bonds and European equity, both of which constitute a single asset in the final asset allocation procedure. We find that extending the investment opportunity set presents substantial risk-return advantages to the investor, together with better performing portfolios. Finally, we show that the level of home country bias prevalent in the UK is quite large. Our results show that, on average, home assets constitute only 57% of the optimal portfolio, while survey results suggest the actual proportion of home assets held by UK investors is 82%. We find that on average six foreign assets should be held in the optimal portfolio with US, French and German equity all having a major role to play.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Maynooth, Co. Kildare|
Web page: http://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/economics-finance-and-accounting
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
- Robert F. Engle & Takatoshi Ito & Wen-Ling Lin, 1988.
"Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-Daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market,"
NBER Working Papers
2609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ito, Takatoshi & Lin, Wen-Ling, 1990. "Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 525-542, May.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:122-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas J. Flavin & Michael R. Wickens, 2001.
"A Risk Management Approach to Optimal Asset Allocation,"
Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series
n1080301, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Michael R. Wickens, 1998. ": A Risk Management Approach to Optimal Asset Allocation," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n851298, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Cumby, Robert & Figlewski, Stephen & Hasbrouck, Joel, 1994. "International asset allocation with time varying risk: an analysis and implementation," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-25.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Michael R. Wickens, 1998. "Optimal International Asset Allocation and Home Bias," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n841298, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-226, May.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-675, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:may:mayecw:n1020800. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.