Optimal International Asset Allocation and Home Bias
This paper examines the optimal allocation each period of an internationally diversified portfolio from the different points of view of a UK and a US investor. A multivariate GARCH model is used to estimate the conditional covariance matrix of returns, and to rebalance their portfolios each period according to CAPM. Domestic equity is the dominant asset in the optimal portfolio for both investors, but the US investor bears less risk than the UK investor, and holds less foreign equity - 20% compared to 25%. Survey evidence indicates actual shares are 6% and 18%, respectively, making the home-bias puzzle more acute for US than UK investors. Put another way, there seems to be more potential gains from increased international diversification for the US than the UK investor.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/economics-finance-and-accounting
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas J. Flavin & Michael R. Wickens, 1998.
": A Risk Management Approach to Optimal Asset Allocation,"
Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series
n851298, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Michael R. Wickens, 2001. "A Risk Management Approach to Optimal Asset Allocation," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1080301, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Karen K. Lewis, 1998. "International Home Bias in International Finance and Business Cycles," NBER Working Papers 6351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Andrew Clare & Raymond O'Brien & Stephen Thomas & Michael Wickens, . "Macroeconomic Shocks and the Domestic CAPM: Evidence from the UK Stock Market," Discussion Papers 94/10, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-26, May.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:122-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cumby, Robert & Figlewski, Stephen & Hasbrouck, Joel, 1994. "International asset allocation with time varying risk: an analysis and implementation," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-25.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Michael R. Wickens, 2000. "Global Asset Allocation with Time-varying Risk," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1020800, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Cooper, Ian & Kaplanis, Evi, 1994. "Home Bias in Equity Portfolios, Inflation Hedging, and International Capital Market Equilibrium," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 45-60.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-75, September.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-78, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:may:mayecw:n841298. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.