On Learning and Growth
We study optimal growth under learning. We extend the Mirman-Zilcha stochastic growth results characterizing optimal programs for general utility and production functions to the case of learning. We then use recursive methods to study the effect of learning on the dynamic program by considering the case of iso-elastic utility and linear production, for general distributions of the random shocks and beliefs (i.e., without the use of conjugate priors), for any horizon. Finally, we address the issue of experimentation by providing a solution to an infinite-horizon optimal dynamic program.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP 8888, succursale Centre-Ville, Montréal, QC H3C 3P8|
Phone: (514) 987-8161
Web page: http://www.cirpee.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manjira Datta & Leonard J. Mirman & Edward E. Schlee, 2002. "Optimal Experimentation in Signal Dependent Decision Problems," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 577-608, May.
- Mirman, Leonard J & Samuelson, Larry & Urbano, Amparo, 1993.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(3), pages 549-63, August.
- Amparo Urbano Salvador & Larry Samuelson & Leonard J. Mirman, 1990. "Monopoly experimentation," Working Papers. Serie AD 1990-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Mirman, L.J. & Samuelson, L. & Urbano, A., 1989. "Monopoly Experimentation," Papers 8-89-7, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Beck, Gunter W. & Wieland, Volker, 2002. "Learning and control in a changing economic environment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1359-1377, August.
- G. Berttocchi, 1995.
"Growth Under Uncertainty with Experimentation,"
95-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A & Prescott, Edward C, 1992. "Stochastic Monotonicity and Stationary Distributions for Dynamic Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1387-406, November.
- Leonard J Mirman & Olivier F. Morand & Kevin L. Reffett, 2004.
"A Qualitative Approach to Markovian Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Economies with Capital,"
122247000000000224, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Morand, Olivier F. & Reffett, Kevin L., 2008. "A qualitative approach to Markovian equilibrium in infinite horizon economies with capital," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 75-98, March.
- Philippe Aghion & Patrick Bolton & Christopher Harris & Bruno Jullien, 1991.
"Optimal Learning by Experimentation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(4), pages 621-654.
- Aghion Philippe & Bolton, Patrick & Harris Christopher & Jullien Bruno, 1991. "Optimal learning by experimentation," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9104, CEPREMAP.
- Aghion, P. & Bolton, P. & Harris, C. & Jullien, B., 1990. "Optimal Learning By Experimentation," DELTA Working Papers 90-10, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Sanford J. Grossman & Richard E. Kihlstrom & Leonard J. Mirman, 1977. "A Bayesian Approach to the Production of Information and Learning By Doing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(3), pages 533-547.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M & Nyarko, Yaw, 1989. "Optimal Control of an Unknown Linear Process with Learning," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 571-86, August.
- Prescott, Edward C, 1972. "The Multi-Period Control Problem Under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(6), pages 1043-58, November.
- Arthur Fishman & Neil Gandal, 1993.
"Experimentation and Learning with Network Effects,"
- Fishman, Arthur & Gandal, Neil, 1994. "Experimentation and learning with networks effects," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 103-108.
- Creane, Anthony, 1994. "Experimentation with Heteroskedastic Noise," Economic Theory, Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 4(2), pages 275-86, March.
- Brock, William A. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1972. "Optimal economic growth and uncertainty: The discounted case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 479-513, June.
- Balvers, Ronald J & Cosimano, Thomas F, 1990. "Actively Learning about Demand and the Dynamics of Price Adjustment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 882-98, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:lacicr:1336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.