Progressive Interval Heuristics for Multi-Item Capacitated Lot-Sizing Problems
We consider a family of N items which are produced in or obtained from the same production facility. Demands are deterministic for each item and each period within a given horizon of T periods. If in a given period an order is placed, setup costs are incurred. The aggregate order size is constrained by a capacity limit. The objective is to find a lot-sizing strategy that satisfies the demands for all items over the entire horizon without backlogging, and which minimizes the sum of inventory carrying, fixed and variable order costs. All demands, cost parameters and capacity limits may be time-dependent. In the basic (JS)-model, the setup cost of an order does not depend on the composition of the order. The (JIS)-model allows for item-dependent setup costs in addition to the joint setup costs. We develop and analyze a class of so-called progressive interval heuristics. A progessive interval heuristic solves a (JS) or (JIS) problem over a progressively larger time-interval, always starting with period 1, but fixing the setup variables of a progressively larger number of periods at their optimal values in earlier iterations. Different variants in this class of heuristics allow for different degrees of flexibility in adjusting continuous variables determined in earlier iterations of the algorithm. For the (JS)-model and the two basic implementations of the progressive interval heuristics, we show under some mild parameter conditions, that the heuristics can be designed to be epsilon-optimal for any desired value of epsilon > 0 with a running time that is polynomially bounded in the size of the problem. They can also be designed to be simultaneously asymptotically optimal and polynomially bounded. A numerical study covering both the (JS) and the (JIS) model, shows that a progressive interval heuristic generates close-to-optimal solutions with modest computational effort and that it can be effectively used to solve large-scale problems.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Operations Research Vol 55, No 3 (May-June 2007), pp 490-502.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/departments/ManSci/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaetan Belvaux & Laurence A. Wolsey, 2001. "Modelling Practical Lot-Sizing Problems as Mixed-Integer Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(7), pages 993-1007, July.
- Gabriel R. Bitran & Horacio H. Yanasse, 1982. "Computational Complexity of the Capacitated Lot Size Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(10), pages 1174-1186, October.
- Suerie, Christopher & Stadtler, Hartmut, 2003. "The Capacitated lot-sizing problem with linked lot sizes," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 20206, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Dong X. Shaw & Albert P. M. Wagelmans, 1998. "An Algorithm for Single-Item Capacitated Economic Lot Sizing with Piecewise Linear Production Costs and General Holding Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(6), pages 831-838, June.
- Stadtler, Hartmut, 2003. "Multilevel lot sizing with setup times and multiple constrained resources: Internally rolling schedules with lot-sizing windows," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 20204, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- van Nunen, J. A. E. E. & Wessels, J., 1978. "Multi-item lot size determination and scheduling under capacity constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 36-41, January.
- Michael Florian & Morton Klein, 1971. "Deterministic Production Planning with Concave Costs and Capacity Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(1), pages 12-20, September.
- M. Florian & J. K. Lenstra & A. H. G. Rinnooy Kan, 1980. "Deterministic Production Planning: Algorithms and Complexity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 669-679, July.
- Christopher Suerie & Hartmut Stadtler, 2003. "The Capacitated Lot-Sizing Problem with Linked Lot Sizes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(8), pages 1039-1054, August.
- William W. Trigeiro & L. Joseph Thomas & John O. McClain, 1989. "Capacitated Lot Sizing with Setup Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 353-366, March.
- Stephen C. Graves, 1982. "Using Lagrangean Techniques to Solve Hierarchical Production Planning Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(3), pages 260-275, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lms:mansci:mrg-0001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joern Meissner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.