A computational analysis of lower bounds for big bucket production planning problems
In this paper, we analyze a variety of approaches to obtain lower bounds for multi-level production planning problems with big bucket capacities, i.e., problems in which multiple items compete for the same resources. We give an extensive survey of both known and new methods, and also establish relationships between some of these methods that, to our knowledge, have not been presented before. As will be highlighted, understanding the substructures of difficult problems provide crucial insights on why these problems are hard to solve, and this is addressed by a thorough analysis in the paper. We conclude with computational results on a variety of widely used test sets, and a discussion of future research. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
Volume (Year): 53 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/math/journal/10589|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William W. Trigeiro & L. Joseph Thomas & John O. McClain, 1989. "Capacitated Lot Sizing with Setup Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 353-366, March.
- Alan S. Manne, 1957.
"Programming of Economic Lot Sizes,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
23, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yves Pochet & Laurence A. Wolsey, 1991. "Solving Multi-Item Lot-Sizing Problems Using Strong Cutting Planes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 53-67, January.
- Horst Tempelmeier & Matthias Derstroff, 1996. "A Lagrangean-Based Heuristic for Dynamic Multilevel Multiitem Constrained Lotsizing with Setup Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(5), pages 738-757, May.
- Willard I. Zangwill, 1969. "A Backlogging Model and a Multi-Echelon Model of a Dynamic Economic Lot Size Production System--A Network Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(9), pages 506-527, May.
- Awi Federgruen & Michal Tzur, 1991. "A Simple Forward Algorithm to Solve General Dynamic Lot Sizing Models with n Periods in 0(n log n) or 0(n) Time," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(8), pages 909-925, August.
- Imre Barany & Tony J. Van Roy & Laurence A. Wolsey, 1984. "Strong Formulations for Multi-Item Capacitated Lot Sizing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(10), pages 1255-1261, October.
- Stadtler, Hartmut, 2003. "Multilevel lot sizing with setup times and multiple constrained resources: Internally rolling schedules with lot-sizing windows," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 20204, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Gaetan Belvaux & Laurence A. Wolsey, 2001. "Modelling Practical Lot-Sizing Problems as Mixed-Integer Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(7), pages 993-1007, July.
- Awi Federgruen & Joern Meissner & Michal Tzur, 2002. "Progressive Interval Heuristics for Multi-Item Capacitated Lot-Sizing Problems," Working Papers MRG/0001, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Nov 2004.
- Gabriel R. Bitran & Hirofumi Matsuo, 1986. "The Multi-Item Capacitated Lot Size Problem: Error Bounds of Manne's Formulations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(3), pages 350-359, March.
- Laurence A. Wolsey, 2002. "Solving Multi-Item Lot-Sizing Problems with an MIP Solver Using Classification and Reformulation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(12), pages 1587-1602, December.
- Michael Florian & Morton Klein, 1971. "Deterministic Production Planning with Concave Costs and Capacity Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(1), pages 12-20, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:coopap:v:53:y:2012:i:3:p:729-753. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.