A heuristic approach for big bucket multi-level production planning problems
Multi-level production planning problems in which multiple items compete for the same resources frequently occur in practice, yet remain daunting in their difficulty to solve. In this paper, we propose a heuristic framework that can generate high quality feasible solutions quickly for various kinds of lot-sizing problems. In addition, unlike many other heuristics, it generates high quality lower bounds using strong formulations, and its simple scheme allows it to be easily implemented in the Xpress-Mosel modeling language. Extensive computational results from widely used test sets that include a variety of problems demonstrate the efficiency of the heuristic, particularly for challenging problems.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- WOLSEY, Laurence, 2002. "Solving multi-item lot-sizing problems with an MIP solver using classification and reformulation," CORE Discussion Papers 2002012, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- William W. Trigeiro & L. Joseph Thomas & John O. McClain, 1989. "Capacitated Lot Sizing with Setup Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 353-366, March.
- Yves Pochet & Laurence A. Wolsey, 1991. "Solving Multi-Item Lot-Sizing Problems Using Strong Cutting Planes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 53-67, January.
- MILLER, Andrew & NEMHAUSER, George & SAVELSBERGH, Martin, 2000. "Solving multi-item capacitated lot-sizing problems with setup times by branch-and-cut," CORE Discussion Papers 2000039, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gaetan Belvaux & Laurence A. Wolsey, 2001. "Modelling Practical Lot-Sizing Problems as Mixed-Integer Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(7), pages 993-1007, July.
- Laurence A. Wolsey, 2002. "Solving Multi-Item Lot-Sizing Problems with an MIP Solver Using Classification and Reformulation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(12), pages 1587-1602, December.
- Horst Tempelmeier & Matthias Derstroff, 1996. "A Lagrangean-Based Heuristic for Dynamic Multilevel Multiitem Constrained Lotsizing with Setup Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(5), pages 738-757, May.
- Katok, Elena & Holly S. Lewis & Terry P. Harrison, 1995.
"Lot Sizing in General Assembly Systems with Setup Costs, Setup Times and Multiple Constrained Resources,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
346, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Elena Katok & Holly S. Lewis & Terry P. Harrison, 1998. "Lot Sizing in General Assembly Systems with Setup Costs, Setup Times, and Multiple Constrained Resources," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(6), pages 859-877, June.
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
- Awi Federgruen & Michal Tzur, 1991. "A Simple Forward Algorithm to Solve General Dynamic Lot Sizing Models with n Periods in 0(n log n) or 0(n) Time," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(8), pages 909-925, August.
- Stadtler, Hartmut, 2003. "Multilevel lot sizing with setup times and multiple constrained resources: Internally rolling schedules with lot-sizing windows," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 20204, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Imre Barany & Tony J. Van Roy & Laurence A. Wolsey, 1984. "Strong Formulations for Multi-Item Capacitated Lot Sizing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(10), pages 1255-1261, October.
- M. Florian & J. K. Lenstra & A. H. G. Rinnooy Kan, 1980. "Deterministic Production Planning: Algorithms and Complexity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 669-679, July.
- Michael Florian & Morton Klein, 1971. "Deterministic Production Planning with Concave Costs and Capacity Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(1), pages 12-20, September.
- Rardin, Ronald L. & Wolsey, Laurence A., 1993. "Valid inequalities and projecting the multicommodity extended formulation for uncapacitated fixed charge network flow problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 95-109, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:193:y:2009:i:2:p:396-411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.