Regional Unemployment in Poland: A Legacy of Central Planning
We model job reallocation and unemployment as outcomes jointly determined by the structure of inherited social capital within a two-sector Optimal Speed of Transition model. Treating regions of Poland as independent labour markets, the socio-economic inheritance of regions is found to be a legacy of planning that determines regional job reallocation rates. In turn, higher rates of (instrumented) regional job reallocation is shown to boost regional unemployment turnover, reduce the duration of frictional and increase the incidence of structural unemployment. At the regional level, the benefit system facilitates the job reallocation process and accumulates out-of-date human capital.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven|
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1992.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-863.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Boeri, Tito, 1997. "Heterogeneous workers, economic transformation and the stagnancy of transitional unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 905-914, April.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1992.
"Unemployment in the OECD Countries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0081, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Boeri, Tito & Scarpetta, Stefano, 1996. "Regional mismatch and the transition to a market economy," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 233-254, October.
- Konings, Jozef & Walsh, Patrick P, 1994.
"Evidence of Efficiency Wage Payments in UK Firm Level Panel Data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 542-55, May.
- J Konings & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1993. "Evidence of Efficiency Wage Payments in UK Firm Level Panel Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0138, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Zuzana Brixiova, 1997. "On the Speed of Transition in Central and Eastern Europe; Does On-the-Job Search Matter?," IMF Working Papers 97/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Albert Ma, Ching-to & Weiss, Andrew M., 1993.
"A signaling theory of unemployment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 135-157, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lic:licosd:9100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.