Regional Unemployment in Poland: A Legacy of Central Planning
We model job reallocation and unemployment as outcomes jointly determined by the structure of inherited social capital within a two-sector Optimal Speed of Transition model. Treating regions of Poland as independent labour markets, the socio-economic inheritance of regions is found to be a legacy of planning that determines regional job reallocation rates. In turn, higher rates of (instrumented) regional job reallocation is shown to boost regional unemployment turnover, reduce the duration of frictional and increase the incidence of structural unemployment. At the regional level, the benefit system facilitates the job reallocation process and accumulates out-of-date human capital.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konings, Jozef & Walsh, Patrick P, 1994.
"Evidence of Efficiency Wage Payments in UK Firm Level Panel Data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 542-55, May.
- J Konings & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1993. "Evidence of Efficiency Wage Payments in UK Firm Level Panel Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0138, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Boeri, Tito, 1997. "Heterogeneous workers, economic transformation and the stagnancy of transitional unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 905-914, April.
- Ching-to Albert Ma & Andrew M. Weiss, 1990.
"A Signaling Theory of Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
3565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boeri, Tito & Scarpetta, Stefano, 1996. "Regional mismatch and the transition to a market economy," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 233-254, October.
- Zuzana Brixiova, 1997. "On the Speed of Transition in Central and Eastern Europe: Doeson-The-Job Search Matter?," IMF Working Papers 97/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Layard, R. & Nickell, S., 1991.
"Unemployment in the OECD Countries,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99130, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lic:licosd:9100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.