Measuring Inequality by Asset Indices: A general approach with application to South Africa
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Martin Wittenberg & Murray Leibbrandt, 2017. "Measuring Inequality by Asset Indices: A General Approach with Application to South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 63(4), pages 706-730, December.
References listed on IDEAS
- Booysen, Frikkie & van der Berg, Servaas & Burger, Ronelle & Maltitz, Michael von & Rand, Gideon du, 2008. "Using an Asset Index to Assess Trends in Poverty in Seven Sub-Saharan African Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1113-1130, June.
- David E. Sahn & David Stifel, 2003. "Exploring Alternative Measures of Welfare in the Absence of Expenditure Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 463-489, December.
- Martin Wittenberg, 2009. "Weighing the value of Asset Proxies: The case of the Body Mass Index in South Africa," SALDRU Working Papers 39, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Martin Wittenberg, 2013. "Non-monetary dimensions of well-being: A comment," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(6), pages 826-829, December.
- Wittenberg, Martin, 2011.
"Estimating expenditure impacts without expenditure data using asset proxies,"
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 122-125, February.
- Martin Wittenberg, 2009. "Estimating expenditure impacts without expenditure data using asset proxies," SALDRU Working Papers 29, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Sahn, David E. & Stifel, David C., 2000. "Poverty Comparisons Over Time and Across Countries in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2123-2155, December.
- Deon Filmer & Kinnon Scott, 2012. "Assessing Asset Indices," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 49(1), pages 359-392, February.
- Murray Leibbrandt & Ingrid Woolard & Arden Finn & Jonathan Argent, 2010. "Trends in South African Income Distribution and Poverty since the Fall of Apartheid," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 101, OECD Publishing.
- Banerjee, Asis Kumar, 2010. "A multidimensional Gini index," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 87-93, September.
- David McKenzie, 2005. "Measuring inequality with asset indicators," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 18(2), pages 229-260, June.
- Milanovic, Branko & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 2002.
"Decomposing World Income Distribution: Does the World Have a Middle Class?,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(2), pages 155-178, June.
- Milanovic, Branko & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 2001. "Decomposing world income distribution : does the world have a middle class ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2562, The World Bank.
- Haroon Bhorat & Carlene van der Westhuizen, 2013. "Non-monetary dimensions of well-being in South Africa, 1993--2004: A post-apartheid dividend?," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 295-314, September.
- Adam Wagstaff, 2005. "The bounds of the concentration index when the variable of interest is binary, with an application to immunization inequality," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 429-432.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kehinde O. Omotoso & Steven F. Koch, 2017. "Social Determinants of Health Inequalities in South Africa: A Decomposition Analysis," Working Papers 201716, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Fredrick M. Wamalwa & Justine Burns, 2017.
"Gender and Birth Order Effects on Intra-household Schooling Choices and Education Attainments in Kenya,"
708, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Fredrick M. Wamalwa & Justine Burns, 2017. "Gender and Birth Order Effects on Intra-household Schooling Choices and Education Attainments in Kenya," SALDRU Working Papers 203, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Emily Frame & Ariane de Lannoy & Murray Leibbrandt, 2016. "Measuring multidimensional poverty among youth in South Africa at the sub-national level," SALDRU Working Papers 169, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
More about this item
KeywordsAsset indices; Demographic and Health Surveys; South Africa;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ldr:wpaper:141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alison Siljeur). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/sauctza.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.