Do Prices grow more in Euroland? Evidence from the Airline Industry
Using more than 10 million on-line fares, we study the determinants of yearly fares’ changes in June 2002-June 2005. We verify whether airlines took advantage, after the Euro introduction, of potential inflationary pressures by increasing their fares more in routes to Eurozone nations. The evidence suggests that this was the case only for the period end 2003-end 2004. To control for other factors that may affect fares’ setting decisions, we provide insights into the effects of the takeovers of Go Fly and Buzz by EasyJet and Ryan Air, respectively. Although we generally find that fares offered immediately after the takeover by the acquiring firms were lower than the ones charged by the target firms twelve months earlier, in one case the effects of the takeover on consumers’ welfare are ambiguous.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU|
Phone: +44 (0) 1509 222701
Fax: +44 (0) 1509 223910
Web page: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/research/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1993. "Localized Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 66-75, February.
- Joskow, Andrew S. & Werden, Gregory J. & Johnson, Richard L., 1994.
"Entry, exit, and performance in airline markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 457-471, December.
- Michael R. Baye & J. Rupert J. Gatti & Paul Kattuman & John Morgan, 2006.
"Did the Euro Foster Online Price Competition? Evidence from an International Price Comparison Site,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(2), pages 265-279, April.
- Michael R. Baye & J. Rupert J. Gatti & Paul Kattuman & John Morgan, 2005. "Did the Euro Foster Online Price Competition? Evidence from an International Price Comparison Site," Working Papers 2005-09, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2005. "Lessons About Markets from the Internet," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 139-158, Spring.
- Maria J. Gil-Molto & Claudio A. Piga, 2005.
"Entry and Exit in a Liberalised Market,"
Discussion Paper Series
2005_10, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised May 2006.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Geisler, Iris, 2003. "Fixed effects models with time invariant variables: a theoretical note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 373-377, September.
- Polachek, Solomon W. & Kim, Moon-Kak, 1994. "Panel estimates of the gender earnings gap : Individual-specific intercept and individual-specific slope models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 23-42, March.
- Borenstein, Severin & Rose, Nancy L, 1994.
"Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 653-683, August.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 1991. "Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 3785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giaume, Stephanie & Guillou, Sarah, 2004. "Price discrimination and concentration in European airline markets," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 305-310.
- Charles Boguslaski & Harumi Ito & Darin Lee, 2004. "Entry Patterns in the Southwest Airlines Route System," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 25(3), pages 317-350, 08.
- Kathy J. Hayes & Leola B. Ross, 1998. "Is Airline Price Dispersion the Result of Careful Planning or Competitive Forces?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 13(5), pages 523-541, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lbo:lbowps:2006_8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Edwards)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.