Inward entry of Japanese banks into the Russian market
The paper represents a case study of Japanese banks operating on the Russian banking market. We particularly analyze motivation, organizational representation, entry modes and strategies of Japanese banks. We argue that in case of Japanese banks both the specificity of the home country (Japan) (relationship banking, main bank system) and host country (Russia) indeed plays an important role in expanding their businesses abroad. The shares of Japanese banks in total banking assets, deposits and lending rate of the Russian banking sector remain low, and in general Japanese banks in Russia might be regarded as “followers” of the Japanese business in Russia. Meanwhile, we also provide evidence that PULL factors are the driving forces providing reasoning for the exceptions from this rule in the behavioral patterns of Japanese banks. The paper summarizes history of foreign expansion of Japanese banks into the Russian market and aims to conduct analysis under the framework of the multinational banking theory.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501|
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maximilian J. B. Hall, 2008.
"Japan: The banks are back! Or are they?,"
Discussion Paper Series
2008_05, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2008.
- Alfred Slager, 2005. "Internationalization of Banks: Strategic Patterns and Performance," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2005/4 edited by Morten Balling, 00.
- Yamori, Nobuyoshi, 1997. "Do Japanese banks lead or follow international business? An empirical investigation," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 369-382, December.
- William P Wan & Daphne W Yiu & Robert E Hoskisson & Heechun Kim, 2008. "The performance implications of relationship banking during macroeconomic expansion and contraction: a study of Japanese banks' social relationships and overseas expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 39(3), pages 406-427, April.
- Lihong Qian & Andrew Delios, 2008. "Internalization and experience: Japanese banks’ international expansion, 1980–1998," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 39(2), pages 231-248, March.
- Marc Ruhr & Michael Ryan, 2005. "“Following” or “attracting” the customer? Japanese Banking FDI in Europe," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 405-422, December.
- Yamori, Nobuyoshi, 1998. "A note on the location choice of multinational banks: The case of Japanese financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 109-120, January.
- Alfred Slager, 2005. "Internationalization of Banks: Strategic Patterns and Performance," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:864. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.