Measuring the Social Status of Education Programmes: Applying a New Measurement to Dual Vocational Education and Training in Switzerland
This paper proposes a new approach to measuring changes in the social status of education programmes, a type of social status that the literature has greatly neglected so far. We focus on the dual Vocational Education and Training (dual VET) system in Switzerland, which has recently received substantial attention across Europe. We argue that, holding everything else constant, a change in the relative ability of students in an education programme, in relation to the cohort, reflects a change in the social status of that programme. Using PISA scores as a proxy for cognitive ability, we apply this approach to test whether growing knowledge of the education system increases the social status of dual VET in Switzerland. Our results, which focus on immigrant students, confirm that the social status of dual VET increases with these students length of stay in Switzerland, thus reflecting their learning process about the Swiss education system.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Leonhardstrasse 21, CH-8092 Zürich|
Phone: +41 44 632 42 39
Fax: +41 44 632 12 18
Web page: http://www.kof.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Busemeyer, Marius R. & Cattaneo, Maria Alejandra & Wolter, Stefan C., 2010.
"Individual policy preferences for vocational versus academic education micro level evidence for the case of Switzerland,"
MPIfG Discussion Paper
10/11, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies.
- Marius R. Busemeyer & Maria Alejandra Cattaneo & Stefan C. Wolter, 2011. "Individual policy preferences for vocational versus academic education: Microlevel evidence for the case of Switzerland," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0068, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Mirjam van Praag, 2009. "Who values the status of the entrepreneur?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-045, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- van Praag, Mirjam C., 2009. "Who Values the Status of the Entrepreneur?," IZA Discussion Papers 4245, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C. Mirjam van Praag,, 2009. "Who values the Status of the Entrepreneur?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-056/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kathrin Bertschy & M. Alejandra Cattaneo & Stefan C. Wolter, 2009. "PISA and the Transition into the Labour Market," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 23(s1), pages 111-137, 03. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kof:wpskof:16-403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.