Spatial price equilibrium and the transport sector : a trade-consistent SCGE model
This paper presents a framework for an SCGE model that is compatible with the Armington assumption and explicitly considers transport activities. In the model, the trade coefficient takes the form of a potential function,and the equilibrium market price becomes similar to the price index of varietal goods in the context of new economic geography (NEG). The features of the model are investigated by using the minimal setting, which comprises two non-transport sectors and three regions. Because transport costs are given exogenously to facilitate study of their impacts, commodity prices are also determined relative to them. The model can be described as a system of homogeneous equations, where an output in one region can arbitrarily be determined similarly as a price in the Walrasian equilibrium. The model closure is sensitive to formulation consistency so that homogeneity of the system would be lost by use of an alternative form of trade coefficients.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2014|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper = IDE Discussion Paper, No. 447. 2014-02-01|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545|
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asao Ando & Bo Meng, 2009. "The Transport Sector And Regional Price Differentials: A Spatial Cge Model For Chinese Provinces," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 89-113.
- Philip McCann, 2005. "Transport costs and new economic geography," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 305-318, June.
- Meng, Bo & Ando, Asao, 2005. "An Economic Derivation on Trade Coefficients under the Framework of Multi-regional I-O Analysis," IDE Discussion Papers 29, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Brander, James A., 1981.
"Intra-industry trade in identical commodities,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-14, February.
- James Brander, 1980. "Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities," Working Papers 380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Lofgren, Hans & Robinson, Sheman, 2002. "Spatial-network, general-equilibrium model with a stylized application," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 651-671, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minami Tosa)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.