Does The Euro Have A Chance to Challenge The Dollar
The dollar has been the dominant currency since the World War II. Will the euro ever be able to challenge the dollar? In order to understand the chance of the euro against the dollar some comparisons are made between them. Starting with the main economic indicators to their roles in the international trade, their power and potential in many economical aspects are tried to be figured out and compared. Furthermore, their elasticities, their roles in the international financial markets, current account and trade balance of the the two parts are discussed. An empirical study on international bonds and notes is made by using the attraction model. All of the analyses made in this research show us the potential of the euro to become an international currency. Although the dollar has still some advantages over the euro, a bipolar currency regime dominated by Europe and the United States may replace the dollar-centered system that has continued for most of this century.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Frank Westermann, 2000.
CESifo Working Paper Series
378, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Frank Westermann, 2001. "Two Mezzogiornos," NBER Working Papers 8125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hartmann,Philipp, 2007. "Currency Competition and Foreign Exchange Markets," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521046930.
- Hartmann,Philipp, 1998. "Currency Competition and Foreign Exchange Markets," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521632737.
- George S. Tavlas, 1997. "The International Use of the US Dollar: An Optimum Currency Area Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(6), pages 709-747, 09.
- McKinnon, Ronald, 2002. "The euro versus the dollar: resolving a historical puzzle," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 355-359, July.
- Bergsten, C. Fred, 2002. "The euro versus the dollar: will there be a struggle for dominance?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 307-314, July.
- Grassman, Sven, 1973. "A fundamental symmetry in international payment patterns," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 105-116, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:izm:wpaper:0401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ayla Ogus Binatli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.