Lingering Illness or Sudden Death? Pre-Exit Employment Developments in German Establishments
Using a large administrative dataset for Germany, this paper compares employment developments in exiting and surviving establishments. For both West and East Germany we find a clear "shadow of death" effect reflecting lingering illness: establishments shrink dramatically already several years before closure, employment growth rates differ strongly between exiting and surviving establishments, and this difference becomes stronger as exit approaches. We further show that prior to exit the workforce becomes on average more skilled, more female and older in exiting compared to surviving establishments. These effects are more clearly visible in West than in East Germany. Our results also hold when applying a matching approach.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Industrial and Corporate Change 2014, 23 (4), 1121-1140|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Michel Quéré & Lionel Nesta, 2006.
"Productivity and Market Selection of French Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 97(5), pages 319-349.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Michel Quéré & Lionel Nesta, 2006. "Productivity and market selection of french manufacturing firms in the nineties," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/7185, Sciences Po.
- Lionel Nesta & Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Michel Quéré, 2006. "Productivity and Market Selection of French Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties," Sciences Po publications 2006-04, Sciences Po.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Quéré, 2006. "Productivity and Market Selection of French Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties," Working Papers hal-00973057, HAL.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Quéré, 2006. "Productivity and Market Selection of French Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2006-04, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Michel Quéré & Lionel Nesta, 2006. "Productivity and market selection of french manufacturing firms in the nineties," Post-Print hal-01021289, HAL.
- Troske, Kenneth R, 1996. "The Dynamic Adjustment Process of Firm Entry and Exit in Manufacturing and Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(2), pages 705-35, October.
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Juan Mañez-Castillejo, 2008. "The Resource-Based Theory of the Firm and Firm Survival," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 231-249, March.
- Carlos Carreira & Paulino Teixeira, 2009.
"The Shadow of Death: Analysing the Pre-Exit Productivity of Portuguese Manufacturing Firms,"
GEMF Working Papers
2008-05, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Carlos Carreira & Paulino Teixeira, 2011. "The shadow of death: analysing the pre-exit productivity of Portuguese manufacturing firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 337-351, April.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Quéré, 2008.
"Market selection along the firm life cycle,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 753-777, August.
- Paul A. Lengermann & Lars Vilhuber, 2002. "Abandoning the Sinking Ship: The Composition of Worker Flows Prior to Displacement," Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Technical Papers 2002-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Anja Spengler, 2008. "European Data Watch: The Establishment History Panel," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 128(3), pages 501-509.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008.
"Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Andrew Bernard, 2005.
"Firm Structure, Multinationals, and Manufacturing Plant Deaths,"
05-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrew B Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2007. "Firm Structure, Multinationals, and Manufacturing Plant Deaths," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(2), pages 193-204, May.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2006. "Firm Structure, Multinationals, and Manufacturing Plant Deaths," Working Paper Series WP06-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Marcus Box, 2008. "The death of firms: exploring the effects of environment and birth cohort on firm survival in Sweden," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 379-393, December.
- Lori G. Kletzer, 1998. "Job Displacement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 115-136, Winter.
- Boris Hirsch & Thorsten Schank & Claus Schnabel, 2010. "Differences in Labor Supply to Monopsonistic Firms and the Gender Pay Gap: An Empirical Analysis Using Linked Employer-Employee Data from Germany," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(2), pages 291-330, 04.
- Edwin Leuven & Barbara Sianesi, 2003. "PSMATCH2: Stata module to perform full Mahalanobis and propensity score matching, common support graphing, and covariate imbalance testing," Statistical Software Components S432001, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 19 Jan 2015.
- Davis, Steven J. & Haltiwanger, John, 1999. "Gross job flows," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2711-2805 Elsevier.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003. "Entry, Exit and Establishment Survival in UK Manufacturing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 91-112, 03.
- Hethey, Tanja & Schmieder, Johannes F., 2010. "Using worker flows in the analysis of establishment turnover : evidence from German administrative data," FDZ Methodenreport 201006_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Kozo Kiyota & Miho Takizawa, 2006.
"The Shadow of Death: Pre-exit Performance of Firms in Japan,"
06033, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kozo Kiyota & Miho Takizawa, 2007. "The Shadow of Death: Pre-exit Performance of Firms in Japan," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d06-204, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Griliches, Zvi & Regev, Haim, 1995. "Firm productivity in Israeli industry 1979-1988," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 175-203, January.
- Gerard A. Pfann & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2008. "Two Sided-Learning with Applications to Labour Turnover and Worker Displacement," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(5+6), pages 423-445, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7081. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.