Worker Matching and Firm Value
This paper studies the value of firms and their hiring and firing decisions in an environment where the productivity of the workers depends on how well they match with their co-workers and the firm acts as a coordinating device. Match quality derives from a production technology whereby workers are randomly located on the Salop circle, and depends negatively on the distance between the workers. It is shown that a worker's contribution in a given firm changes over time in a nontrivial way as co-workers are replaced with new workers. The paper derives optimal hiring and replacement policies, including an optimal stopping rule, and characterizes the resulting equilibrium in terms of employment, wages and distribution of firm values. The paper stresses the role of horizontal differences in worker productivity, as opposed to vertical, assortative matching issues. Simulations of the model show the dynamics of worker replacement policy, the resulting firm value and age distributions, and the connections between them.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Haltiwanger & Ron S. Jarmin & Javier Miranda, 2010.
"Who Creates Jobs? Small vs. Large vs. Young,"
10-17, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Jan Eeckhout & Philipp Kircher, 2010.
"Sorting and decentralized price competition,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
29705, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jan Eeckhout & Philipp Kircher, 2011.
"Identifying Sorting--In Theory,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 78(3), pages 872-906.
- Philipp Kircher & Jan Eeckhout, 2009. "Identifying Sorting, In Theory," 2009 Meeting Papers 581, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jan Eeckhout & Philipp Kircher, 2011. "Identifying sorting: in theory," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 29708, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Eeckhout, Jan & Kircher, Philipp, 2009. "Identifying Sorting: In Theory," IZA Discussion Papers 4004, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jan Eeckhout & Philipp Kircher, 2009. "Identifying Sorting - In Theory," PIER Working Paper Archive 09-007, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6657. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.