Does Human Capital Endowment of FDI Recipient Countries Really Matter? Evidence from Cross-Country Firm Level Data
The stylized literature on foreign direct investment suggests that developing countries should invest in the human capital of their labour force in order to attract foreign direct investment. However, if educational quality in developing country is uncertain such that formal education is a noisy signal of human capital, it might be rational for multinational enterprises to focus more on job-specific training than on formal education of the labour force. Using cross-country data from the textiles and garments industry, we demonstrate that training indeed has greater impact on firm efficiency in developing countries than formal education of the work force.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Review of Development Economics, 2013, 17 (3), 559-570|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova, 2014.
"Good and bad institutions: is the debate over? Cross-country firm-level evidence from the textile industry,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 38(1), pages 109-126.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Dimova, Ralitza, 2011. "Good and Bad Institutions: Is the Debate Over? Cross-Country Firm-Level Evidence from the Textile Industry," IZA Discussion Papers 5471, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Margono, Heru & Sharma, Subhash C., 2006. "Efficiency and productivity analyses of Indonesian manufacturing industries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 979-995, December.
- Noorbakhsh, Farhad & Paloni, Alberto & Youssef, Ali, 2001. "Human Capital and FDI Inflows to Developing Countries: New Empirical Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1593-1610, September.
- Nazmul Chaudhury & Jeffrey Hammer & Michael Kremer & Karthik Muralidharan & F. Halsey Rogers, 2006. "Missing in Action: Teacher and Health Worker Absence in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 91-116, Winter.
- S. K. Bhaumik & S. Gangopadhyay & S. Krishnan, 2008. "Policy, economic federalism, and product market entry: the Indian experience," The European Journal of Development Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 1-30.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.