Technical Efficiency in the Informal Manufacturing Enterprises: Firm level evidence from an Indian state
The small and medium enterprise sector plays a pivotal role in the socio-economic development and growth of nations. But there is evidence that the firms in this sector are less efficient than those in the large enterprise sector. Hence it is imperative to examine their efficiency levels in order to identify the factors that contribute inefficiency in these firms and to generate information for designing support policies for them. In this study, level and sources of technical efficiency in the unorganised manufacturing sector in the Indian state of Kerala is examined using translog stochastic frontier production function. The analysis is conducted for five broad industry groups and the sector as a whole using firm level data. The findings show that high levels of technical inefficiency, which reduce their potential levels significantly, characterize the unorganised manufacturing enterprises in Kerala. Regarding the factors contributing to inefficiencies, it is observed that size, ownership, region (location) and nature of seasonality of operation significantly influence technical efficiency level in most of the industry groups. We also find that credit availability and employment of hired labour play an important role in explaining technical efficiency levels.
|Date of creation:||11 Nov 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Ã–Zlem Ã–Nder & Ertug¬Rul Deliktas & Aykut Lenger, 2003.
"Efficiency in the Manufacturing Industry of Selected Provinces in Turkey : A Stochastic Frontier Analysis,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 98-113, March.
- A. Özlem Önder & Ertug¬Rul Deliktas & Aykut Lenger, 2003. "Efficiency in the Manufacturing Industry of Selected Provinces in Turkey : A Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(2), pages 98-113, March.
- Margono, Heru & Sharma, Subhash C., 2006. "Efficiency and productivity analyses of Indonesian manufacturing industries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 979-995, December.
- Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin, 1999.
"Are the poor less well insured? Evidence on vulnerability to income risk in rural China,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 61-81, February.
- Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin, 1997. "Are the poor less well-insured? Evidence on vulnerability to income risk in rural China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1863, The World Bank.
- Oleg Badunenko & Michael Fritsch & Andreas Stephan, 2006. "What Determines the Technical Efficiency of a Firm? The Importance of Industry, Location, and Size," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 33/2006, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Mukherjee, Dipa, 2004. "Productivity in the Small Manufacturing Enterprises: Determinants and Policy Issues," MPRA Paper 4867, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Måns Söderbom & Francis Teal, 2004.
"Size and Efficiency in African Manufacturing Firms:Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Soderbom, Mans & Teal, Francis, 2004. "Size and efficiency in African manufacturing firms: evidence from firm-level panel data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 369-394, February.
- Måns Söderbom & Francis Teal, 2002. "Size and efficiency in African manufacturing firms: Evidence from firm-level panel data," CSAE Working Paper Series 2002-07, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Page, John Jr., 1984. "Firm size and technical efficiency : Applications of production frontiers to Indian survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 129-152.
- Ijaz Nabi, 1989. "Investment in Segmented Capital Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(3), pages 453-462.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- K. R. Shanmugam & Saumitra Bhaduri, 2002. "Size, age and firm growth in the Indian manufacturing sector," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(9), pages 607-613.
- Tybout, James R, 1983. "Credit Rationing and Investment Behavior in a Developing Country," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 598-607, November.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-444, June.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-286, July.
- Sangho Kim, 2003. "Identifying And Estimating Sources Of Technical Inefficiency In Korean Manufacturing Industries," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(1), pages 132-144, 01.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Reifschneider, David & Stevenson, Rodney, 1991. "Systematic Departures from the Frontier: A Framework for the Analysis of Firm Inefficiency," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 715-723, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7816. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.