Climbing the Drug Staircase: A Bayesian Analysis of the Initiation of Hard Drug Use
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Anne Line Bretteville‐Jensen & Liana Jacobi, 2011. "Climbing the drug staircase: a Bayesian analysis of the initiation of hard drug use," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(7), pages 1157-1186, November.
References listed on IDEAS
- van Ours, Jan C., 2003.
"Is cannabis a stepping-stone for cocaine?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 539-554, July.
- van Ours, J.C., 2001. "Is Cannabis a Stepping Stone for Cocaine?," Discussion Paper 2001-98, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van Ours, J.C., 2003. "Is cannabis a stepping stone for cocaine?," Other publications TiSEM c1213d1c-a542-4627-938c-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- van Ours, Jan C, 2001. "Is Cannabis a Stepping-Stone for Cocaine?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3116, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beenstock, Michael & Rahav, Giora, 2002. "Testing Gateway Theory: do cigarette prices affect illicit drug use?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 679-698, July.
- Hans Melberg & Andrew Jones & Anne Bretteville-Jensen, 2010.
"Is cannabis a gateway to hard drugs?,"
Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 583-603, June.
- Hans Olav Melberg & Anne Line Bretteville-Jensen & Andrew M. Jones, 2007. "Is cannabis a gateway to hard drugs?," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 07/01, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- van Ours, Jan C. & Williams, Jenny, 2007.
"Cannabis prices and dynamics of cannabis use,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 578-596, May.
- van Ours, Jan C & Williams, Jenny, 2005. "Cannabis Prices and Dynamics of Cannabis Use," CEPR Discussion Papers 4991, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- van Ours, J.C. & Williams, J., 2005. "Cannabis Prices and Dynamics of Cannabis Use," Discussion Paper 2005-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Jacobi, Liana, 2007. "Modeling and calculating the effect of treatment at baseline from panel outcomes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 781-801, October.
- Bretteville-Jensen Anne L & Melberg Hans O & Jones Andrew M, 2008.
"Sequential Patterns of Drug Use Initiation - Can We Believe In the Gateway Theory?,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-31, January.
- Anne Line Bretteville-Jensen & Hans Olav Melberg & Andrew M Jones, 2005. "Sequential patterns of drug use initiation – can we believe in the gateway theory?," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 05/09, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Stephen Pudney, 2003. "The Road to Ruin? Sequences of Initiation to Drugs and Crime in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(486), pages 182-198, March.
- Chib, Siddhartha, 2007. "Analysis of treatment response data without the joint distribution of potential outcomes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 401-412, October.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Anne Line Bretteville-Jensen & Erik Biørn, 2004. "Do prices count? A micro-econometric study of illicit drug consumption based on self-reported data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 673-695, September.
- Jeffrey DeSimone, 1998. "Is Marijuana a Gateway Drug?," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 24(2), pages 149-164, Spring.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- DeAngelo, Gregory & Redford, Audrey, 2015. "Is Medical Marijuana a Gateway Drug?: The Effect of Medical Marijuana Legalization on Heroin Use Rates," 2016 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2016, San Antonio, Texas 229981, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Waddell, G.R., 2012. "Adolescent drug use and the deterrent effect of school-imposed penalties," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 961-969.
- Waddell, Glen R., 2010. "Adolescent Drug Use and the Deterrent Effect of School-Imposed Penalties," IZA Discussion Papers 5047, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
More about this item
Keywordsaccessibility; Bayesian prior-posterior analysis; Bayesian predictive analysis; cannabis gateway; cannabis use; hard drug use; Markov Chain Monte Carlo; policy; proneness;
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- I19 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Other
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-01-03 (Econometrics)
- NEP-HEA-2009-01-03 (Health Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3879. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .