Origins and Consequences of Child Labor Restrictions: A Macroeconomic Perspective
We investigate the positive and normative consequences of child-labor restrictions for economic aggregates and welfare. We argue that even though the laissez-faire outcome may be inefficient, there are usually better policies to cure these inefficiencies than the imposition of a child-labor ban. Given this finding, we investigate the potential political-economic reasons behind the emergence and persistence of child-labor legislation. Our investigation is based on a structural dynamic general equilibrium model that provides a coherent and uniform framework for our analysis.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Publication status:||published in: Peter Rupert (ed.), Frontiers in Family Economics, Bingley: Emerald, 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ranjan, Priya, 2001.
"Credit constraints and the phenomenon of child labor,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 81-102, February.
- Ranjan, P., 1999. ""Credit Constraints and the Phenomenon of Child Labor"," Papers 98-99-12, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Stephane Pallage & Christian Zimmermann, 2000.
"Buying Out Child Labor?,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
123, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2001.
"Child Labor: Theory, Evidence and Policy,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0111, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Dessy, Sylvain & Knowles, John, 2008.
"Why is child labor illegal?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1275-1311, October.
- Eric V. Edmonds & Nina Pavcnik, 2005. "Child Labor in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 199-220, Winter.
- Dirk Krueger & Jessica Tjornhom Donohue, 2005.
"On The Distributional Consequences Of Child Labor Legislation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(3), pages 785-815, 08.
- Dirk Krueger & Jessica Tjornhom Donohue, 2004. "On the Distributional Consequences of Child Labor Legislation," NBER Working Papers 10347, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dirk Krueger & Jessica Tjornhom Donohue, 2007. "On The Distributional Consequences Of Child Labor Legislation," Working Papers id:975, eSocialSciences.
- Kaushik Basu, 1999.
"Child Labor: Cause, Consequence, and Cure, with Remarks on International Labor Standards,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1083-1119, September.
- Basu, Kaushik, 1998. "Child labor : cause, consequence, and cure, with remarks on International Labor Standards," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2027, The World Bank.
- Matthias Doepke, 2004.
"Accounting for Fertility Decline During the Transition to Growth,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 347-383, 09.
- Matthias Doepke, 2001. "Accounting for Fertility Decline During the Transition to Growth," UCLA Economics Working Papers 804, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Basu, Kaushik & Van, Pham Hoang, 1998. "The Economics of Child Labor," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 412-427, June.
- Moshe Hazan & Binyamin Berdugo, 2005.
"Child Labor, Fertility and Economic Growth,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Stephen L. Parente & Richard Rogerson & Randall Wright, 2000. "Homework in Development Economics: Household Production and the Wealth of Nations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(4), pages 680-687, August.
- Matthias Doepke & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2005.
"The Macroeconomics of Child Labor Regulation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1492-1524, December.
- Greenwood, J. & Rogerson, R. & Wright, R., 1993. "Household Production in Real Business Cycle Thoery," RCER Working Papers 347, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Dessy, Sylvain E. & Pallage, Stephane, 2001.
"Child labor and coordination failures,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 469-476, August.
- Jean-Marie Baland & James A. Robinson, 2000. "Is Child Labor Inefficient?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(4), pages 663-679, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.