Wages, Employment, and Capital in Capitalist and Worker-Owned Firms
Differences in wages, employment, and capital between worker-owned and capitalist enterprises are computed from a matched employer-worker panel data set from Italy, the market economy with the greatest incidence of worker-owned and worker-managed firms. These differences are related to orthodox models of the capitalist firm and worker co-op. The estimates of the wage, employment, and capital equations largely corroborate the implications of the behavioral models of the two types of enterprise. Co-op wages are about 14 percent lower on average and they are more volatile (and employment less volatile) than those in capitalist enterprises. Given the breadth of the data set analyzed, the results can claim to constitute general findings about capitalist and co-op enterprises.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2006, 60 (1), 23-44|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, Derek C & Svejnar, Jan, 1985.
"Participation, Profit Sharing, Worker Ownership and Efficiency in Italian Producer Cooperative,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(208), pages 449-65, November.
- JONES, Derek C. & SVEJNAR, Jan, . "Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficiency in Italian producer cooperatives," CORE Discussion Papers RP 681, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jones, D.C. & Svejnar, J., 1984. "Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficieny in Italian producer cooperatives," CORE Discussion Papers 1984019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Guiso, Luigi & Pistaferri, Luigi & Schivardi, Fabiano, 2001.
"Insurance Within the Firm,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2793, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Luigi Pistaferri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2002. "Insurance within the firm," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 C3-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Luigi Guiso & Luigi Pistaferri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2001. "Insurance within the Firm," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 414, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Will Bartlett & John Cable & Saul Estrin & Derek C. Jones & Stephen C. Smith, 1992. "Or-Managed Cooperatives and Private Firms in North Central Italy: An Empirical Comparison," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 103-118, October.
- Pencavel, John & Craig, Ben, 1994. "The Empirical Performance of Orthodox Models of the Firm: Conventional Firms and Worker Cooperatives," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 718-44, August.
- Smith, Stephen C., 1994. "Innovation and market strategy in Italian industrial cooperatives: Econometric evidence on organizational comparative advantage," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 303-320, May.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2004.
"Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 720-742, 06.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2003. "Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 474, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.