The pecuniary and non-pecuniary costs of job displacement. An evaluation of the post-displacement injury rate
This paper investigates the pecuniary and non-pecuniary costs of involuntary job loss by focusing on both post-displacement earnings losses and injury rates. To this end we employ a unique dataset. Administrative data from Italy describing individual work histories have been merged with individual data on workplace injuries. Propensity score matching techniques are employed to measure the causal effect of displacement on workplace injury rates. We find that in a period marked by tight labour market, re-employed displaced workers experience only moderate and short-lived earnings losses but are about 70 percent more likely to be injured at their subsequent jobs compared to the control group of non-displaced workers. These results suggest that re-employed displaced workers may trade pecuniary job attributes for non-pecuniary ones.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuberes, David & Dougan, William, 2009.
"How Endogenous Is Money? Evidence from a New Microeconomic Estimate,"
17744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Cuberes & William R. Dougan, 2010. "How Endogenous Is Money? Evidence from a New Microeconomic Estimate," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Menner, Martin, 2007. "The role of search frictions for output and inflation dynamics: a Bayesian assessment," UC3M Working papers. Economics we076235, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Martin Menner, 2009. "The role for search frictions for output and inflation dynamics: A Bayesian assessment," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maliar, Lilia & Maliar, Serguei & Valli, Fernando, 2010. "Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty using the Krusell-Smith algorithm," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 42-49, January.
- Lilia Maliar & Fernando Valli & Serguei Maliar, 2009. "Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty using the Krusell-Smith algorithm," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Lilia Maliar & Fernando Valli & Seguei Maliar, 2009. "Matlab code for "Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty using the Krusell-Smith algorithm"," QM&RBC Codes 180, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- José J. Sempere Monerris & Rafael Moner Colonques & Amparo Urbano Salvador, 2010. "Trade liberalization in vertically related markets," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2010-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.