Mergers of retailers with limited selling capacity
We consider two (symmetric) upstream firms producing independent goods that sell to consumers through symmetric retailers. The distinguishing feature of retailers is that they have a selling capacity, in the sense, that there is an upper limit in the total units of the two goods they can sell. For low enough capacity levels, we obtain that wholesale prices are increasing in the capacity and therefore we find cases where profits of retailers increase by restricting capacity. Keeping constant the industry selling capacity, we study the profitability of the merger of all retailers. For low capacity levels we obtain that wholesale prices increase with the merger and therefore the merger of retailers is not profitable.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lilia Maliar & Fernando Valli & Serguei Maliar, 2009.
"Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty using the Krusell-Smith algorithm,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2009-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maliar, Lilia & Maliar, Serguei & Valli, Fernando, 2010. "Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty using the Krusell-Smith algorithm," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 42-49, January.
- Lilia Maliar & Fernando Valli & Seguei Maliar, 2009. "Matlab code for "Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty using the Krusell-Smith algorithm"," QM&RBC Codes 180, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Martin Menner, 2007.
"The role of search frictions for output and inflation dynamics: a Bayesian assessment,"
Economics Working Papers
we076235, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Martin Menner, 2009. "The role for search frictions for output and inflation dynamics: A Bayesian assessment," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20080019 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carlos Oyarzun & Paan Jindapon, 2009. "Strategic truth and deception," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-24, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2009-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.