The European Credit Market and Institutions
This paper uses polled panel OLS robust estimations with quarterly data for 26 EU countries from the 1980s until 2006, comparing the results of three panels of countries during different time periods. The results obtained confirm the high degree of integration among the EU financial systems and demonstrate not only the quite high degree of openness of the financial markets, but also their indebtedness and the dependence of the EU banking institutions on the financial resources of other countries. Key words: European credit market; European bank institutions; financial integration; panel estimates.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evzen Kocenda & Ali M. Kutan & Taner M. Yigit, 2005.
"Pilgrims to the Eurozone: How Far, How Fast?,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp279, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Steven Fries & Damien Neven & Paul Seabright, 2002.
"Bank Performance in Transition Economies,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
505, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Steven Fries & Damien Neven & Paul Seabright, 2002. "Bank performance in transition economies," Working Papers 76, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Damien Neven, 2002. "Bank Performance in Transition Economies," IHEID Working Papers 07-2002, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Altunbas, Yener & Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1997. "Big-Bank Mergers in Europe: An Analysis of the Cost Implications," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 317-29, May.
- Melnik, Arie & Nissim, Doron, 2006. "Issue costs in the Eurobond market: The effects of market integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 157-177, January.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Rovelli, Riccardo, 2005.
"Monetary policy transmission, interest rate rules and inflation targeting in three transition countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 183-201, January.
- Roberto Golinelli & Riccardo Rovelli, 2002. "Monetary Policy Transmission, Interest Rate Rules and Inflation Targeting in Three Transition Countries," Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers wp10, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1988.
"Credit, Money, and Aggregate Demand,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 435-39, May.
- D. Jansen & J. de Haan, 2003. "Increasing concentration in european banking: a macro-level analysis," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 743, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2003.
"A comparative study of efficiency in European banking,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(17), pages 1865-1876.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2000. "A Comparative Study of Efficiency in European Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Ferreira, Candida & Williams, Jonathan, 2007. "Analysing the determinants of performance of best and worst European banks: A mixed logit approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2189-2203, July.
- Candida Ferreira, 2008. "The banking sector, economic growth and European integration," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(6), pages 512-527, November.
- Inês Cabral & Frank Dierick & Jukka Vesala, 2002. "Banking integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 06, European Central Bank.
- Elbourne, Adam & de Haan, Jakob, 2006. "Financial structure and monetary policy transmission in transition countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Agnes Belaisch & Joaquim Vieira Ferreira Levy & Laura E. Kodres & Angel J. Ubide, 2001. "Euro-Area Banking At the Crossroads," IMF Working Papers 01/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kocenda, 2003. "The impact of Czech mass privatisation on corporate governance," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(3/4), pages 278-293, September.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp262009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.