Social Accounting Matrix and the System of National Accounts: An Application
The purpose of this session is to show how the System of National Accounts (SNA) and the input output (supply and use) tables are used to construct a Social Accounting Matrix (SAM). Based on the country's National Accounts, an aggregate SAM will be constructed for the Portuguese economy and their full consonance will be demonstrated by identifying both the items and balances of the various internal accounts of the System in the constructed SAM. The SAM will be shown as a working instrument for quantifying the flows in the economic circuit, and blocks of sub-matrices with common characteristics will be described in terms of the accounting transactions that are included in each of them. As an example, a more detailed SAM will be constructed and the contents of its cells described in strict detail. The relationship between the SAM and the input-output table will also be briefly analysed.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Santos, Susana G., 2004. "Portuguese net borrowing and the government budget balance: A SAM approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 703-717, September.
- Graham Pyatt, 1999. "Some Relationships between T-Accounts, Input-Output Tables and Social Accounting Matrices," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 365-387.
- Resosudarmo, Budy P. & Thorbecke, Erik, 1996. "The impact of environmental policies on household incomes for different socio-economic classes: The case of air pollutants in Indonesia," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 83-94, May.
- Keuning, Steven J & de Ruijter, Willem A, 1988. "Guidelines to the Construction of a Social Accounting Matrix," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 34(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Jorge Alarcon & Jan Van Heemst & Niek De Jong, 2000. "Extending the SAM with Social and Environmental Indicators: An Application to Bolivia," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 473-496.
- Susana Santos, 2003. "Social Accounting Matrices for Portugal in 1998-99. Modelling the effects of charges in government receipts and expenditures," Working Papers Department of Economics 2003/07, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Jeffrey Round, 2003. "Constructing SAMs for Development Policy Analysis: Lessons Learned and Challenges Ahead," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 161-183.
- Keuning, Steven, 1998. "Interaction between National Accounts and Socio-economic Policy," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(3), pages 345-59, September.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1988. "A SAM approach to modeling," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 327-352.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp142005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.