Socio-economic studies with social accounting and socio-demographic Matrices. An (attempted) application to Mozambique
In looking for empirical evidence about the activity of countries, a proposal is made for studying (measuring and modelling) the activity of countries through the use of Social Accounting Matrices (SAMs) and Socio-Demographic Matrices (SDMs). SAMs and SDMs are presented as tools that have specific features for conducting studies in several different areas, as well as for supporting policy decision processes. Based on methodological principles that are derived mainly from the works of Richard Stone, emphasis is placed on the desirability of working in a matrix format, which includes not only people (SDM), but also, at the same time, activities, products, factors of production and institutions (SAM). This is considered to be a way of capturing the relevant network of linkages and the corresponding multiplier effects for the subsequent modelling of the activity of the countries studied. A method will be proposed for the construction of these matrices. In the case of the SAMs, it is proposed that their design and construction should adopt, at least as their starting point, the latest version of the System of National Accounts (2008 SNA) and the corresponding results of its adoption/adaptation by different countries. The exposition of this proposal is accompanied by an example applied to Mozambique, as well as by some considerations about the quality, suitability and completeness of the data used in the construction of SAMs and SDMs.
|Date of creation:||05 Jul 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Santos, Susana, 2010.
"A quantitative approach to the effects of social policy measures. An application to Portugal, using Social Accounting Matrices,"
23612, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Susana Santos, 2010. "A quantitative approach to the effects of social policy measures. An application to Portugal, using Social Accounting Matrices," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2010_33, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1985. "Commodity Balances and National Accounts: A SAM Perspective," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 31(2), pages 155-69, June.
- Stone, Richard, 1984.
"The Accounts of Society,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1984-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Graham Pyatt, 1999. "Some Relationships between T-Accounts, Input-Output Tables and Social Accounting Matrices," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 365-387.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1988. "A SAM approach to modeling," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 327-352.
- Keuning, Steven J & de Ruijter, Willem A, 1988. "Guidelines to the Construction of a Social Accounting Matrix," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 34(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Stone, Richard, 1982. "Working with What We Have: How Can Existing Data Be Used in the Construction and Analysis of Socio-Demographic Matrices?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 28(3), pages 291-303, September.
- Graham Pyatt, 2001. "Some Early Multiplier Models of the Relationship between Income Distribution and Production Structure," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 139-163.
- Jeffrey Round, 2003. "Constructing SAMs for Development Policy Analysis: Lessons Learned and Challenges Ahead," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 161-183.
- Susana Santos, 2007. "Modelling economic circuit flows in a social accounting matrix framework. An application to Portugal," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(14), pages 1753-1771.
- Blades, Derek W, 1975. "Subsistence Activities in the National Accounts of Developing Countries with Special Reference to Latin America," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 21(4), pages 391-410, December.
- Santos, Susana G., 2004. "Portuguese net borrowing and the government budget balance: A SAM approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 703-717, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47999. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.