A quantitative approach to the effects of social policy measures. An application to Portugal, using Social Accounting Matrices
The impacts of policy measures on transfers between government and households will be quantified using Social Accounting Matrices (SAMs). The System of National Accounts (SNA) will be the main source used for the construction of the numerical version of these matrices, which will then form the basis for two algebraic versions. One version will consist of accounting multipliers, and structural path analysis will also be used for its decomposition. The other version will be a so-called SAM-based linear model, in which each cell will be defined with a linear equation or system of equations, whose components will be all the known and quantified transactions of the SNA, using the parameters deduced from the numerical SAM that served as the basis for this model. Macroeconomic aggregates and balances, as well as structural indicators of the distribution and use of income, will be calculated from numerical and algebraic versions of the SAM. These will make it possible to quantify and compare the effects of social policy measures and to evaluate their differences, in order to define the path for future research work on the SAM-based linear model.
|Date of creation:||13 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susana Santos, 2007. "Modelling economic circuit flows in a social accounting matrix framework. An application to Portugal," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(14), pages 1753-1771.
- Santos, Susana G., 2004. "Portuguese net borrowing and the government budget balance: A SAM approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 703-717, September.
- Susana Santos, 2007. "Macro-SAMs for modelling purposes. An application to Portugal in 2003," Working Papers Department of Economics 2007/17, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Defourny, Jacques & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "Structural Path Analysis and Multiplier Decomposition within a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 111-36, March.
- Susana Santos, 2011. "Constructing SAMs from the SNA," Working Papers Department of Economics 2011/18, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2010_33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.