Forecasting Using Functional Coefficients Autoregressive Models
The use of linear parametric models for forecasting economic time series is widespread among practitioners, in spite of the fact that there is a large evidence of the presence of non-linearities in many of such time series. However, the empirical results stemming from the use of non-linear models are not always as good as expected. This has been sometimes associated to the difficulty in correctly specifying a non-linear parametric model. I this paper I cope with this issue by using a more general non-parametric approach, which can be used both as a preliminary tool for aiding in specifying a suitable parametric model and as an autonomous modelling strategy. The results are promising, in that the non-parametric approach achieve a good forecasting record for a considerable number of series.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.istat.it/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Teräsvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick & Medeiros, Marcelo, 2004.
"Linear models, smooth transition autoregressions, and neural networks for forecasting macroeconomic time series: A re-examination,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
561, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 04 Nov 2004.
- Terasvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick & Medeiros, Marcelo C., 2005. "Linear models, smooth transition autoregressions, and neural networks for forecasting macroeconomic time series: A re-examination," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 755-774.
- Timo Teräsvirta & Dick van Dijk & Marcelo Cunha Medeiros, 2004. "Linear models, smooth transition autoregressions and neural networks for forecasting macroeconomic time series: A reexamination," Textos para discussão 485, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Terasvirta, Timo, 2006.
"Forecasting economic variables with nonlinear models,"
Handbook of Economic Forecasting,
- Teräsvirta, Timo, 2005. "Forecasting economic variables with nonlinear models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 598, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 29 Dec 2005.
- Lee, Tae-Hwy & White, Halbert & Granger, Clive W. J., 1993.
"Testing for neglected nonlinearity in time series models : A comparison of neural network methods and alternative tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 269-290, April.
- Tom Doan, . "REGWHITENNTEST: RATS procedure to perform White neural network test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00183, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "REGRESET: RATS procedure to perform Ramsey RESET test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00181, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Zongwu Cai & Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 2000. "Functional-coefficient regression models for nonlinear time series," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6314, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Harvill, Jane L. & Ray, Bonnie K., 2005. "A note on multi-step forecasting with functional coefficient autoregressive models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 717-727.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1998. "A Comparison of Linear and Nonlinear Univariate Models for Forecasting Macroeconomic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 6607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tschernig, Rolf & Yang, Lijian, 1997. "Nonparametric lag selection for time series," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,59, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao & Zongwu Cai, 2003. "Adaptive varying-coefficient linear models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(1), pages 57-80.
- Harvey, David I & Leybourne, Stephen J & Newbold, Paul, 1998. "Tests for Forecast Encompassing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 254-59, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isa:wpaper:98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.