Mind the Science and Technology Skills Gap
This policy brief shows new evidence on the causes of the S&T skills gap in European regions. It highlights that the S&T skills gap is mainly due to shortages of capabilities that are crucial to support the innovation and growth of firms and the other actors of the regional system, including university and government. From these findings, ad hoc policy implications upon the development of innovation capabilities and skills for the European Research Strategy and Innovation agenda are proposed and future research issues identified.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 954 48 8318
Fax: +34 954 48 8300
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/institutes/ipts
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clive Lawson & Edward Lorenz, 1999. "Collective Learning, Tacit Knowledge and Regional Innovative Capacity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 305-317.
- Boothby, Daniel & Dufour, Anik & Tang, Jianmin, 2010. "Technology adoption, training and productivity performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 650-661, June.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "Editorial: Human capital and human capability," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1959-1961, December.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & Koen, C.I. & Noorderhaven, N.G., 2004. "Organizational Culture and Relationship Skills," Discussion Paper 2004-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ragin, Charles C., 2000. "Fuzzy-Set Social Science," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226702766.
- Alberto Bayo-Moriones & Margarita Billón & Fernando Lera-López, 2008. "Skills, technology and organisational innovation in Spanish firms," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 122-145, May.
- Daria Ciriaci, 2011. "Intangible resources: the relevance of training for European firms’ innovative performance," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2011-06, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Iammarino, Simona & Padilla-Pérez, Ramon & von Tunzelmann, Nick, 2008. "Technological Capabilities and Global-Local Interactions: The Electronics Industry in Two Mexican Regions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1980-2003, October.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1997. "Training and Innovation in an Imperfect Labour Market," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 445-64, July.
- Daria Ciriaci & Fernando Hervas Soriano, 2012. "Bridging ideas with markets. The impact of training, marketing and design on innovation," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC75493, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- von Tunzelmann Nick, 2009. "Competencies Versus Capabilities: A Reassessment," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 435-464.
- Daria Ciriaci, 2011. "Design and European firms’ innovative performance: A less costly innovation activity for European SMEs?," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2011-08, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Gary S. Becker, 1994. "Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education (3rd Edition)," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck94-1, 07.
- Malerba, Franco, 1992. "Learning by Firms and Incremental Technical Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 845-59, July.
- Bengt-ake Lundvall & Bjorn Johnson, 1994. "The Learning Economy," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 23-42.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:iptwpa:jrc83766. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Institute Publication Officer)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Institute Publication Officer to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.