Evolution of innovation policy in Emilia-Romagna and Valencia: Similar reality, similar results?
This paper examines the evolution of regional innovation policy in Emilia-Romagna, and Valencia, regions with similar economic features that implemented similar innovation policies in the 1970s and 1980s. We investigate whether their similarities have led to similar targets, policy tools and governance developments. We show that innovation policy in both regions suffered from the effects of privatization, budget constraints and changes to manufacturing during the 1990s and highlight the consequences. Although Emilia-Romagna experienced deeper change to its innovation policy, privatizations and/or the replacement of public funds promoted commercial approaches and induced market failures in both regions. The worst effects of these policies were the implementation of less risky innovation projects, the shift towards extra-regional projects and markets, and the favouring of large firms.
|Date of creation:||29 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación, Edificio *E 4o planta, 46022 Valencia|
Phone: +34 963 877 048
Fax: +34 963 877 991
Web page: http://www.ingenio.upv.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael Boix & Vittorio Galleto, 2005. "Sistemas Locales de Trabajo y Distritos Industriales Marshallianos en España," Working Papers wpdea0514, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2002. "Business development service centres in Italy. An empirical analysis of three regional experiences: Emilia Romagna, Lombardia y Veneto," Desarrollo Productivo 130, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Andrés J Picazo-Tadeo & Andrés García-Reche, 2007. "What makes environmental performance differ between firms? Empirical evidence from the Spanish tile industry," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 39(9), pages 2232-2247, September.
- Belussi, Fiorenza, 1999. "Policies for the Development of Knowledge-Intensive Local Production Systems," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(6), pages 729-47, November.
- Margaret Cowell, 2010. "Polycentric Regions: Comparing Complementarity and Institutional Governance in the San Francisco Bay Area, the Randstad and Emilia-Romagna," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(5), pages 945-965, May.
- Alberto Rinaldi, 2002.
"The Emilian Model Revisited: Twenty Years After,"
Department of Economics
0417, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Samoilovich, Daniel & Nardacchione, Gabriel & Muller, Emmanuel & Koschatzky, Knut & Walter, Gunther H. & Zenker, Andrea, 2005. "Instituciones de apoyo a la tecnología y estrategias regionales basadas en la innovación," Estudios y Perspectivas – Oficina de la CEPAL en Buenos Aires 23, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- José García-Quevedo & Francisco Mas-Verdú, 2008. "Does only size matter in the use of knowledge intensive services?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 137-146, August.
- Bianchi, Patrizio & Bellini, Nicola, 1991. "Public policies for local networks of innovators," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 487-497, October.
- Brusco, Sebastiano, 1982. "The Emilian Model: Productive Decentralisation and Social Integration," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 167-84, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ing:wpaper:201210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (François Perruchas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.