Estimating the Indian natural interest rate and evaluating policy
We estimate the unobserved time-varying natural interest rate (NIR) and potential output for the Indian economy using the Kalman Filter. Estimation is a special challenge in an emerging market because of limited length of data series and ongoing structural change. A key result in the literature is the NIR is imprecisely estimated. Structural aspects of the economy used in our estimation turn out, however, to improve the precision of the NIR estimates, although potential output continues to be imprecisely estimated. Turning points are well captured and estimates obtained for the output gap elasticity of aggregate supply and the interest elasticity of aggregate demand.The estimated NIR is used as an indicator of the monetary policy stance, which is found to be broadly contractionary and procyclical for the period under study.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gen. A. K. Vaidya Marg, Goregaon (E), Mumbai 400065|
Phone: (022) 840 0919/20/21
Fax: (022) 840 2752/2026
Web page: http://www.igidr.ac.in
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashima Goyal, 2008.
"The Natural Interest Rate in Emerging Markets,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22379, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ashima Goyal, 2008. "The Natural interest rate in emerging markets," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2008-014, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Ashima Goyal, 2008. "The Natural Interest Rate in Emerging Markets," Working Papers id:1675, eSocialSciences.
- Thomas Laubach and John C. Williams, 2001.
"Measuring the Natural Rate of Interest,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
35, Society for Computational Economics.
- Bhaskar Dutta & Tridip Ray & E Somanathan (ed.), 2009. "New and Enduring Themes in Development Economics," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 7207, 04.
- Michel Juillard & Charles Freedman & Dmitry Korshunov & Douglas Laxton & Ondrej Kamenik & Ioan Carabenciov & Igor Ermolaev & Jared Laxton, 2008. "A Small Quarterly Multi-Country Projection Model with Financial-Real Linkages and Oil Prices," IMF Working Papers 08/280, .
- Mesonnier, Jean-Stephane & Renne, Jean-Paul, 2007.
"A time-varying "natural" rate of interest for the euro area,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 1768-1784, October.
- Jean-Stephane Mesonnier & Jean-Paul Renne, 2004. "A Time Varying Natural Rate of Interest for the Euro Area," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 42, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Ashima Goyal, 2007.
"A General equilibrium open economy model for emerging markets: Monetary policy with a dualistic labor market,"
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers
2007-016, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Goyal, Ashima, 2011. "A general equilibrium open economy model for emerging markets: Monetary policy with a dualistic labor market," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1392-1404, May.
- Ashima Goyal, 2007. "A General Equilibrium Open Economy Model for Emerging Markets - Monetary Policy with a Dualistic Labor Market," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22377, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ashima Goyal & Shruti Tripathi, 2011. "New Keynesian aggregate supply in the tropics: food prices, wages and inflation," International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(4), pages 330-354.
- Ashima Goyal & Sanchit Arora, 2012. "Deriving India's Potential growth from theory and structure," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2012-018, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:igiwpp:2013-017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.