Liberalisation of tropical commodity market and adding-up problem: A Bound test approach
The paper examines the effect of commodity market liberalisation on developing countries by taking the case of tropical products. This issue assumes importance in the context of developing countries characterised as they are by heavy dependence on commodity exports. Theoretically, commodity market liberalisation could adversely affect the terms of trade of exporting countries, as the price and income elasticity of demand for the commodities are relatively low. The problem arises as the welfare effects of unilateral liberalisation by an individual country having a small market share differ from the multilateral liberalisation by a group of producing countries who collectively constitute a major share of the market. This collective liberalisation in most of the cases can result in a decline in prices. In this paper we examine this phenomenon the adding up problem- using Bound Test Procedure which is an advanced approach for testing the existence of long run relationship. The major finding of the study is that along with product specificities, export structure of the countries concerned is also an important factor in determining the adding up problem.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Peasanth Nagar, Trivandrum 695 011, Kerala|
Phone: +91 471 2448 881
Fax: +91 471 2447 137
Web page: http://www.cds.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Larson, Donald F. & DEC, 1994. "The adding-up problem : strategies for primary commodity exports in sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1245, The World Bank.
- Faini, Riccardo & Clavijo, Fernando & Senhadji-Semlali, Abdel, 1992. "The fallacy of composition argument : Is it relevant for LDCs' manufactures exports?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 865-882, May.
- Lucrezia Reichlin & Peter Rappoport, 1989.
"Segmented trends and non-stationary time series,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10169, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- P. Mohanan Pillai & N. Shanta, 2011. "ICT and Employment Promotion among Poor Women," Indian Journal of Gender Studies, Centre for Women's Development Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 51-76, February.
- Christopher L. Gilbert & Panos Varangis, 2003. "Globalization and International Commodity Trade with Specific Reference to the West African Cocoa Producers," NBER Working Papers 9668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
- Cline, William R., 1982. "Can the East Asian model of development be generalized?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 81-90, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:cdswpp:399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.