Comparing Garman-Klass and DU Volatility and Symmetry Measures in Intraday Futures Returns and Volumes: A Vector Autoregression Analysis
In this paper we investigate intraday futures market returns and volumes. Four contracts are selected from foreign exchange and equity market sectors. Using intraday data, two time-series are constructed using two measures of daily volatility and symmetry for each contract’s return and volume. An examination of the interaction between daily return and volume variables is conducted using vector autoregressive (VAR) models. These models compare conventional parametric measures of volatility and symmetry with a second VAR incorporating the Garman-Klass and DU (“down-up”) measures of volatility and symmetry. Although the results are mixed between market and contract types, they suggest that the conventional parametric measures outperform the alternative formulations.
|Date of creation:||29 Aug 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 01|
Phone: 00 353 1 896 3888
Fax: 00 353 1 896 3939
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/iiis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Owain Ap Gwilym & David McMillan & Alan Speight, 1999. "The intraday relationship between volume and volatility in LIFFE futures markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(6), pages 593-604.
- Charles Corrado & Cameron Truong, 2007. "Forecasting Stock Index Volatility: Comparing Implied Volatility And The Intraday High-Low Price Range," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 30(2), pages 201-215.
- Bohl, Martin T. & Henke, Harald, 2003. "Trading volume and stock market volatility: The Polish case," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 513-525.
- Jonathan A. Batten & Brian M. Lucey, 2007.
"Volatility in the Gold Futures Market,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Michael Rockinger & Eric Jondeau, 2001.
"Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns,"
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 559-581, December.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 2001. "Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns," Les Cahiers de Recherche 739, HEC Paris.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Huang, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin-Wei, 2001. "An empirical investigation of trading volume and return volatility of the Taiwan Stock Market," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-77.
- Chen, Gong-meng & Firth, Michael & Rui, Oliver M, 2001. "The Dynamic Relation between Stock Returns, Trading Volume, and Volatility," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 36(3), pages 153-73, August.
- Garman, Mark B & Klass, Michael J, 1980. "On the Estimation of Security Price Volatilities from Historical Data," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 67-78, January.
- Ball, Clifford A. & Torous, Walter N., 1983. "A Simplified Jump Process for Common Stock Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 53-65, March.
- Bhar, Ramaprasad & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2005. "Causality in variance and the type of traders in crude oil futures," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 527-539, May.
- Arditti, Fred D & Levy, Haim, 1975. "Portfolio Efficiency Analysis in Three Moments: The Multiperiod Case," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 797-809, June.
- Eugene F. Fama, 1963. "Mandelbrot and the Stable Paretian Hypothesis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 420.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Siddique, Akhtar, 1999. "Autoregressive Conditional Skewness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 465-487, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iis:dispap:iiisdp260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colette Keleher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.