Approximate and Almost-Exact Aggregation in Dynamic Stochastic Heterogeneous-Agent Models
The paper presents a new method to solve DSGE models with a great number of heterogeneous agents. Using tools from systems and control theory, it is shown how to reduce the dimension of the state and the policy vector so that the reduced model approximates the original model with high precision. The method is illustrated with a stochastic growth model with incomplete markets similar to Krusell and Smith (1998), and with a model of heterogeneous firms with state-dependent pricing. For versions of those models that are nonlinear in individual variables, but linearized in aggregate variables, approximations with 50 to 200 state variables deliver solutions that are precise up to machine precision. The paper also shows how to reduce the state vector even further, with a very small reduction in precision.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reiter, Michael & Sveen, Tommy & Weinke, Lutz, 2009.
"Lumpy Investment and State-Dependent Pricing in General Equilibrium,"
239, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Michael Reiter & Tommy Sveen & Lutz Weinke, 2009. "Lumpy investment and state-dependent pricing in general equilibrium," Working Paper 2009/05, Norges Bank.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998.
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic," RCER Working Papers 399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," GSIA Working Papers 1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Reiter, Michael, 2009.
"Solving heterogeneous-agent models by projection and perturbation,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 649-665, March.
- Michael Reiter, 2006. "Solving heterogeneous-agent models by projection and perturbation," Economics Working Papers 972, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Den Haan, Wouter J. & Rendahl, Pontus, 2010.
"Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty using explicit aggregation,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 69-78, January.
- Den Haan, Wouter & Rendahl, Pontus, 2008. "Solving the Incomplete Markets Model with Aggregate Uncertainty using Explicit Aggregation," CEPR Discussion Papers 6963, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruce Preston & Mauro Roca, 2007. "Incomplete Markets, Heterogeneity and Macroeconomic Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 13260, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2007.
"An empirical investigation of labor income processes,"
IFS Working Papers
W07/13, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "An Empirical Investigation of Labor Income Processes," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(1), pages 58-79, January.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2005. "An Empirical Investigation of Labor Income Processes," Macroeconomics 0508026, EconWPA.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2007. "An Empirical Investigation of Labor Income Processes," NBER Working Papers 13394, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin Malin & Dirk Krueger & Felix Kubler, 2007.
"Computing Stochastic Dynamic Economic Models with a Large Number of State Variables: A Description and Application of a Smolyak-Collocation Method,"
NBER Working Papers
13517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin Malin & Dirk Krueger & Felix Kubler, 2007. "Computing Stochastic Dynamic Economic Models with a Large Number of State Variables: A Description and Application of a Smolyak-Collocation Method," NBER Technical Working Papers 0345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anton Nakov & James Costain, 2009.
"Dynamics of the Price Distribution in a General Model of State-Dependent Pricing,"
2009 Meeting Papers
611, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- James Costain & Antón Nákov, 2009. "Dynamics of the price distribution in a general model of state-dependent pricing," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0831, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ana Castaneda & Javier Diaz-Gimenez & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull, 2003. "Accounting for the U.S. Earnings and Wealth Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(4), pages 818-857, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.